I have talked to Oriel's twin!

Old January 15th 15, 06:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default I have talked to Oriel's twin!

This guy also has some "interesting" views on astronomy. To summarise the 400 pages he shared with me into one message isn't easy so bear with me. He, genuinely, believes that almost everything that main stream astronomers believe is incorrect. He has his own pet theory on virtually every aspect of astronomy - from the age of the universe, the speed of light, the origin of the solar system, the length of the day in historical times, the variable duration of twilight, climate change, black holes ... the list just goes on and on.

There is, according to him, a global conspiracy to prevent his "earth-shattering" discoveries from even being discussed, never mind accepted.

Speaking to him on the phone was, to say the least, challenging. He contacted me but didn't want a conversation. He talked ***at me*** for perhaps 20 minutes then went back to the start and pretty much started again. He had no interest in any views that differed in even the tiniest detail from his own. Any and all observational evidence that seemed to invalidate his views was either wrong or misunderstood.

And yet as he hadn't got a preconceived view on the sidereal day and why it matters he was entirely comfortable discussing it. He appeared to be a normal rational human being. But the instant the topic changed back to one where he had decided what was correct it was just like attempting to interact with Oriel - frustrating and pointless.

I now know from speaking to his family that he has been diagnosed as "significantly autistic". At one time he had a wife and a job - alas no more as his progressively developing refusal to ever change his mind on any issue however trivial made him "almost impossible to live or work with".
Old January 15th 15, 11:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Pastor Ravi Holy of Ghetti Spa, Los Agña

nicholson
wrote in message

[...]

I once met a guy that told me pi was 22/7. Trying to explain to him that
3.142857 142857 142857 142857 142857 ... was an approximation to
3.1415926535897932384626433832795... was impossible.
There really are some people with an IQ less than 50 and Kelleher's
insistence on ratios with integer values (ratio-nal numbers) demonstrates
his.
That's aside from his baulking at sidereal days and his insistence the Moon
does not have poles.

-- Pastor Ravi Holy of Ghetti Spa, Los Agña, Santa Gria
ria
Je suis charlie!

Old January 16th 15, 02:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark Storkamp

In article ,
"Pastor Ravi Holy of Ghetti Spa, Los Agña"
wrote:

nicholson
wrote in message

[...]

You meet one or two of these types of people and you find them
irrational and hard to deal with (as in the first example's wife).
Imagine it from their point of view. Every single person they meet is
irrational to them. That would drive me insane, as is evident from their
behavior. Probably best to just let them live peacefully in their
delusions.
Old January 16th 15, 04:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

You seem to have talked to him many times judging by the number of times
you have posted this identical wording.

Bot!
Old January 16th 15, 06:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Mark Storkamp" wrote in message

You meet one or two of these types of people and you find them
irrational and hard to deal with (as in the first example's wife).
Imagine it from their point of view. Every single person they meet is
irrational to them. That would drive me insane, as is evident from their
behavior. Probably best to just let them live peacefully in their
delusions.

Yes, I agree.
People get concerned over autism in children, but children grow into adults
and it doesn't go away.

http://www.autism.org.uk/About-autis...-syndrome.aspx
Quote/
Asperger syndrome is a form of autism, which is a lifelong disability that
affects how a person makes sense of the world, processes information and
relates to other people. Autism is often described as a 'spectrum disorder'
because the condition affects people in many different ways and to varying
degrees. (For more information about autism, please read our leaflet What is
autism?)
Asperger syndrome is mostly a 'hidden disability'. This means that you can't
tell that someone has the condition from their outward appearance. People
with the condition have difficulties in three main areas. They a
social communication
social interaction
social imagination.
They are often referred to as 'the triad of impairments' and are explained
in more detail on page 3.
While there are similarities with autism, people with Asperger syndrome have
fewer problems with speaking and are often of average, or above average,
intelligence. They do not usually have the accompanying learning
disabilities associated with autism, but they may have specific learning
difficulties. These may include dyslexia and dyspraxia or other conditions
such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and epilepsy.
With the right support and encouragement, people with Asperger syndrome can
lead full and independent lives.
\Unquote.

For the most part I do leave him alone, we are just talking about him here,
but he's masochistic enough to keep coming back to this newsgroup for
another thrashing.
Some mean well enough, trying to explain to him the tilt of the Earth, the
sidereal day and why the Moon has to rotate to keep the same face to the
Earth, but he won't even place
two sticks in the ground aligned with a star to time it from one night to
the next, let alone use an expensive telescope with a clock drive. Flogging
a dead horse won't move it out the way, but he's not dead, he keeps coming
back and lying in the middle of the road blocking traffic. So do you give
him "the right support and encouragement" or a good whipping?
One cannot be forced to imagine the Earth orbiting the Sun and the Moon
orbiting the Earth when both cross the sky daily, or the Earth hanging still
as the Sun and stars move behind it, as seen from the Moon. He lacks that
imagination.
As you say, leave him alone.

Old January 16th 15, 07:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/15/15 12:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that background.

Old January 16th 15, 07:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Friday, 16 January 2015 20:00:59 UTC+1, Sam Wormley wrote:

Thanks for that background.

The problem is that the troll triggers an auto-response in others because he feigns knowledge by dripping the correct terminology like falling rain. He is a random word generator without the knowledge or education to understand the terms he so repeatedly abuses. You might call him a flawed human badly attempting AI. He is a parrot or budgerigar in all but name. Cute at the first hearing but quickly tiresome to distraction. I cannot imagine that he has a social circle. To know him would be a slow and painful death by a thousand cuts. He reminds me of working in the same office as a Jehovah's Witness. Walking lunacy in the public domain. Hidden behind a crippling mask of psychopathic smugness.