hottest part of Sun and hottest part of a fireplace question & observation

Old January 27th 04, 07:23 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default hottest part of Sun and hottest part of a fireplace question & observation

Now I am not sure of my observation that the only blue flame is near
the outer topmost edge of the spent log. Blue near the top surface,
more reddish below the blue and then almost white in the middle. That
is what I see but perhaps my sight is at fault.

Now with the Sun, if I have it correct near the surface is the hottest
part of the Sun.

So my question is why the blue, and the blue is the hottest, why the
blue in a log fireplace on the surface of the log? Is it because the
density of oxygen is greatest near the surface whereas going inside
the spent log less oxygen and thus not as hot.

If oxygen density is the answer for why blueflame on top surface, then
what is the answer for the Sun as to why its outer layer is the
hottest? My mind would like to say it is also a matter of *oxygen
density* greatest on the outer surfaces of the Sun but not sure if
that is the case.

Does an expert on the Sun want to weigh in.

Archimedes Plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies
Old January 27th 04, 08:12 AM
Mike Dworetsky

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message
om...
Now I am not sure of my observation that the only blue flame is near
the outer topmost edge of the spent log. Blue near the top surface,
more reddish below the blue and then almost white in the middle. That
is what I see but perhaps my sight is at fault.

Now with the Sun, if I have it correct near the surface is the hottest
part of the Sun.

Such a great amount of speculation from such a totality of ignorance, eh?

If you are referring to the photosphere, the "surface" is the coolest part
of the Sun, not the hottest.

So my question is why the blue, and the blue is the hottest, why the
blue in a log fireplace on the surface of the log? Is it because the
density of oxygen is greatest near the surface whereas going inside
the spent log less oxygen and thus not as hot.

Blue isn't necessarily the hottest part of a flame. The colours in a flame
are due to chemical reactions during combustion, not radiative transfer
through a hot medium. The red or orange glow of a burning log is thermal or
blackbody radiation, however.

If oxygen density is the answer for why blueflame on top surface, then
what is the answer for the Sun as to why its outer layer is the
hottest? My mind would like to say it is also a matter of *oxygen
density* greatest on the outer surfaces of the Sun but not sure if
that is the case.

The Sun is not combusting or burning like a fire; you really ought to learn
some basics before posting.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old January 27th 04, 11:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message

[...]

Mike, don't be too hard on Archie. He is our pet idiot.

Franz

Old January 27th 04, 04:38 PM
db

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

Now I am not sure of my observation that the only blue flame is near
the outer topmost edge of the spent log. Blue near the top surface,
more reddish below the blue and then almost white in the middle. That
is what I see but perhaps my sight is at fault.

Now with the Sun, if I have it correct near the surface is the hottest
part of the Sun.

that is incorrect.
look it up.

db
Old January 27th 04, 04:48 PM
Mike Dworetsky

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

[...]

That's what Donald Rumsfeld would describe as a known known. Just thought I
would head off an AP thread before he really took off with it.

Thanks for reminding me...

Old January 27th 04, 05:00 PM
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics, Archimedes Plutonium

wrote
on 26 Jan 2004 23:23:57 -0800
:
[...]

Power output of entire sun: 3.94 * 10^26 W
Mass of sun: 1.9862 * 10^30 kg
C + O2 = CO2 enthalpy: -643 kJ/mol or 14.6 MJ/kg
Fuel consumption rate, assuming C + O2 reaction: 2.69*10^19 kg/s
Time of life assuming C + O2: 2340 years
Probability this scenario makes any sense: 0

Actual hydrogen consumption rate: 6*10^11 kg/s
Actual hydrogen percentage: 92%
Time of life assuming pure H fusion and constant rate: 96.5 billion years
Actual estimated time of life: 5 billion years
Estimated time before Earth becomes inhabitable: 1 billion years

#191,
It's still legal to go .sigless.