what's the story on Astromart these days?

Old March 9th 13, 10:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Dobbins

Default what's the story on Astromart these days?

Hadn't logged in there for about a year. When I tried to yesterday, I
got an "expired" message and in order to regain access, I have to pay a
$15 fee. I remember once paying I think it was $10, but that was one
time. This looks like a yearly fee. What's going on? Also, are there
alternative sites these days that people are using and what are they?
Old March 9th 13, 04:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Cbeyond

Looks like a yearly fee now. Mime just expired too. Cloudynights.com
has a robust astro fleamarket and has some great forums. Astromart
is the best and the fee is reasonable if you need something soon.

Old March 9th 13, 08:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

Cloudy Nights http://www.cloudynights.com/index.php gets my vote as well. I believe the site is the brainchild of *Astronomics*.
Old March 9th 13, 11:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Bill Dobbins:
Hadn't logged in there for about a year. When I tried to yesterday, I
got an "expired" message and in order to regain access, I have to pay a
$15 fee. I remember once paying I think it was $10, but that was one
time. This looks like a yearly fee. What's going on? Also, are there
alternative sites these days that people are using and what are they?

Yes, there is an annual fee. It's worth it if you buy and sell, but
that doesn't seem to be the case with you. I get my subscription fee
back in the savings from one purchase, such as the purchase of a
like-new mount or lens at.

Ben:
Cloudy Nights http://www.cloudynights.com/index.php gets my vote as well. I
believe the site is the brainchild of *Astronomics*.

Looks reasonable, though I only peruse the CN forums and reviews; I
haven't bought or sold via CN.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 10th 13, 12:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 3/9/13 3:22 PM, Davoud wrote:
Yes, there is an annual fee. It's worth it if you buy and sell,

"Worth it" is not the issue. It's just surprising and odd to have a fee
for buyers.

I suspect most such services charge the seller for their income.
AFAIK eBay and Craigslist (and of course Cloudy Nights) don't charge the
buyer to shop.

Do you know of another such operation besides Astromart that does charge
the buyer directly?
Old March 10th 13, 12:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thad Floryan

On 3/9/2013 4:13 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/9/13 3:22 PM, Davoud wrote:
Yes, there is an annual fee. It's worth it if you buy and sell,

"Worth it" is not the issue. It's just surprising and odd to have a fee
for buyers.

I suspect most such services charge the seller for their income.
AFAIK eBay and Craigslist (and of course Cloudy Nights) don't charge the
buyer to shop.

Do you know of another such operation besides Astromart that does charge
the buyer directly?

Costco is a paid membership store and they sell "department
store scopes" during the Winter holiday season. Note there
is an annual rebate based on purchases so my membership is
essentially free along with much of the next purchase(s) I
make given the annual rebate is almost always over US$100.

I sure there are other paid membership stores.

Thad
Old March 10th 13, 01:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 3/9/13 4:54 PM, Thad Floryan wrote:

I sure there are other paid membership stores.

I asked about used sales person to person, like classified ads.

I will allow that the newspaper classified ads do in the abstract
require buying the paper. But the old classified ads only weekly papers
gave away their editions.

(I am aware of the membership store paradigm.)
Old March 10th 13, 03:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
Yes, there is an annual fee. It's worth it if you buy and sell...

lal_truckee:
"Worth it" is not the issue. It's just surprising and odd to have a fee
for buyers.

I suspect most such services charge the seller for their income.
AFAIK eBay and Craigslist (and of course Cloudy Nights) don't charge the
buyer to shop.

Do you know of another such operation besides Astromart that does charge
the buyer directly?

No, but that's not the point. Astromart is a commercial enterprise, so
I don't find it surprising that they charge a fee. I suppose if the fee
were a large one I would sit up and take notice, but I have had great
experiences selling and buying with Astromart, so it is worth the
nominal fee to me. The sites you point out are suitable alternatives
for those who don't think that Astromart is worth the money. Choice is
good.

I happen to like the way Astromart is organized--easy to find things,
easy to post an ad with photos.

I've been cleaning house lately, astronomically and otherwise, and I
turned to a local Craigslist to dispose of things that I did not want
to ship, and that I thought the buyer should have the opportunity to
inspect before laying down his/her hard-earned money. So far,so good. I
have also used Craigslist to give away a number of items, including a
Meade tripod that is in brand-new condition. It so happens the tripod
went to a worthy recipient, who obviously was a happy camper.

Old March 10th 13, 08:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Saturday, March 9, 2013 2:02:33 AM UTC-8, Bill Dobbins wrote:
Hadn't logged in there for about a year. When I tried to yesterday, I

got an "expired" message and in order to regain access, I have to pay a

$15 fee. I remember once paying I think it was $10, but that was one

time. This looks like a yearly fee. What's going on? Also, are there

alternative sites these days that people are using and what are they?

Astromart used to be FREE, than suddenly new redesigned web face came up.
I posted on the forum, Astromart ready to charge members FEE.
I was told off, that they would never do that!
Hahahaha!
Old March 10th 13, 03:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Cloudy Nights is good, but the topics are so fragmented that one has to keep switching around, and the moderation is so heavy I feel like I'm at a sunday school teacher's kid's birthday party. I gotta put more effort into SAA... This thing CAN rise again...
Marty