A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Space Science » History
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"Frontiers of Space", "Handbook of Model Rocketry," etc. for sale



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old March 27th 04, 06:07 AM
Scott Ferrin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:56:19 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Just FYI if the Space Settlements, A Design Study is the one done in
1974 it is available in PDF format online. It's a 30Mb DL though.


It's a Good Thing that a lot of these docuemnts are being made avaialbel
online as PDF... but a lot is lost in the translation. Not only image
quality (some are REALLY bad), but also... just the *feel* of having the
actual book. Sorta sucks the soul out of a book.



When I was a kid I must have checked that thing out of the local
library a dozen times. I'd tried to find it for sale on ebay or
amazon on night with no luck and then found the pdf one online.
Ads
  #22  
Old March 27th 04, 06:17 AM
Scott Ferrin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On 27 Mar 2004 01:35:05 GMT, Jim Davis
wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Just FYI if the Space Settlements, A Design Study is the one
done in 1974 it is available in PDF format online. It's a 30Mb
DL though.


Can you post a link? I've only seen it in html format he

http://lifesci3.arc.nasa.gov/SpaceSe...udy/Table_of_C
ontents1.html

Jim Davis



http://www.lsmd.caltech.edu/ae107/class/SP-413.PDF





  #23  
Old March 27th 04, 07:31 PM
Jim Davis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Can you post a link?


http://www.lsmd.caltech.edu/ae107/class/SP-413.PDF


Thanks!!

Jim Davis
  #24  
Old March 28th 04, 08:03 AM
Pat Flannery
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Scott Lowther wrote:

It's a Good Thing that a lot of these docuemnts are being made avaialbel
online as PDF... but a lot is lost in the translation. Not only image
quality (some are REALLY bad), but also... just the *feel* of having the
actual book. Sorta sucks the soul out of a book.


Spoken like a true salesman! :-)
I can still remember getting my copy of that book when I was young; it
had all sorts of fascinating things in it; and I could never understand
why we didn't build any of those SSTO vehicles rather than the Shuttle;
the giant surface-launched Mars ship is really something!

Pat

  #25  
Old March 28th 04, 01:15 PM
Scott Lowther
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

It's a Good Thing that a lot of these docuemnts are being made avaialbel
online as PDF... but a lot is lost in the translation. Not only image
quality (some are REALLY bad), but also... just the *feel* of having the
actual book. Sorta sucks the soul out of a book.


Spoken like a true salesman! :-)


More like a *buyer.* Yes, I coudl download a text version of Milton's
"Paradise Lost," for example, but I'd much rather read my giant 1903
edition with the Gustave Dore illustrations...


the giant surface-launched Mars ship is really something!


It's a ROMBUS, as was the Ithacus (originaly, and creepily, called the
"Icarus"). An all-round useful critter....

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
gibberish from the reply-to e-mail address
  #26  
Old March 28th 04, 06:49 PM
Pat Flannery
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Scott Lowther wrote:


It's a ROMBUS, as was the Ithacus (originaly, and creepily, called the
"Icarus"). An all-round useful critter....


Could you imagine the amount of air drag that thing would have generated
during ascent? Streamlined it's not.

Pat

  #27  
Old March 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Scott Lowther
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:


It's a ROMBUS, as was the Ithacus (originaly, and creepily, called the
"Icarus"). An all-round useful critter....


Could you imagine the amount of air drag that thing would have generated
during ascent? Streamlined it's not.


At that size it hardly matters.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
gibberish from the reply-to e-mail address
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beyond Linear Cosmology and Hypnotic Theology Yoda Misc 0 June 30th 04 07:33 PM
Clueless pundits (was High-flight rate Medium vs. New Heavy lift launchers) Rand Simberg Space Science Misc 18 February 14th 04 04:28 AM
Space Access Update #102 2/9/04 Henry Vanderbilt Policy 1 February 10th 04 04:18 PM
First Moonwalk? A Russian Perspective Astronaut Misc 0 January 31st 04 04:11 AM
DDRDE model of 4D space (curved 3D space w/ invertibility) Scandere Astronomy Misc 0 January 15th 04 01:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SpaceBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.