FWD: Latest update on Pat "Nine Toes" Flannery

Old December 19th 05, 11:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Default FWD: Latest update on Pat "Nine Toes" Flannery

....Latest update on Pat Flannery, from his pal Jay:

"[Nine Toes Flannery] Sounds like an Irish mob boss. Pat had his toe
removed Friday morning. Everything went well and things are
progressing the way the doctor thought they would. He has to remain
in bed for the next couple of days, which means using the bed pan.
"You don't realize the importance of gravity in that activity until
you try to defecate horizontally," he said. He will remain in the
hospital for a few more days so they can watch over his foot and
remove any more dead skin and make sure all the infected areas have
been taken care of. He is worried about being able to drive with the
huge bandage wrapping around his left foot. And he's not happy about
all the diabetic diet lectures he's getting and all the fruit they
keep trying to feed him. (He admitted to developing a taste for
grapes, however.) "

....Well, at least we can make jokes about Pat not having his ****
together.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 23rd 05, 02:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Cap'n Ahab The Non-Arab wrote:

...Well, at least we can make jokes about Pat not having his ****
together.

I'm back from the hospital and able to move around somewhat thanks to
the giant strap-on black boot that Senator Palpatine was nice enough to
attach to me (he says he has more attachments handy if I ever need them).
Gangrene smells every bit as bad as it's described in the movies- the
toe could make trained nurses nauseous.
But the toe is no more, and now I have a giant split in my foot where it
resided. While at the hospital (which had surprisingly good food BTW) I
was under the care of the Norski Nurses- a bevy of young farm-raised
girls who are so pleasant that they are downright surreal as they race
from patient to patient in their Strawberry Shortcake and Winnie The
Pooh smocks; although the smock with the children and angels on it was a
bit foreboding if you thought about it too much.
Then there was another nurse who reminded me of Edith Prickly from SCTV;
she had a smock on with frogs on it, and explained that she had planned
to wear it of Friday as then it would be Froggy Friday but wore it on
Saturday instead so now it was Froggy Saturday.
A addendum to the Second Amendment might incorporate something regarding
the right of hospital patients to keep and bear arms for their own
protection.
Where I really lucked out was my doc; I liked this guy from the moment
he walked in and pulled a model of the human foot skeletal structure out
of his side pocket. I quickly discovered that he was as big of a LOTR
fan as I was, and that he knew all about missiles (conversation quickly
moved from how much of the foot was leaving to the comparative dangers
of hydrogen peroxide and hydrazine as missile propellants) and had set
himself on fire with a recoilless rifle once, much as I had set myself
on fire with my siege mortar.
It may have been the drugs, but it seemed to me that his scalpel glowed
with a strange blue light as it drew near the afflicted toe, and that he
was muttering High Elvish as he worked.
The main problem I now suffer from is a doozie of a case of phlebitis in
both hands due to the strong IV administered antibiotics that were used
to treat the infection; and the pain from the foot is only minor
compared to that- which feels like I had dipped both of my hands into
boiling water.
I won't be posting very much for a while, as typing is very painful.

Pat
Old December 23rd 05, 03:04 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

The main problem I now suffer from is a doozie of a case of phlebitis in
both hands due to the strong IV administered antibiotics that were used to
treat the infection; and the pain from the foot is only minor compared to
that- which feels like I had dipped both of my hands into boiling water.
I won't be posting very much for a while, as typing is very painful.

the important part is that you're okay, thank God for that.

Welcome back and have a merry Xmas with the Strawberry Shortcake ladies,
amigo!

Old December 23rd 05, 04:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:04:50 -0600, Terrell Miller wrote
(in article ):

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

The main problem I now suffer from is a doozie of a case of phlebitis in
both hands due to the strong IV administered antibiotics that were used to
treat the infection; and the pain from the foot is only minor compared to
that- which feels like I had dipped both of my hands into boiling water.
I won't be posting very much for a while, as typing is very painful.

the important part is that you're okay, thank God for that.

Welcome back and have a merry Xmas with the Strawberry Shortcake ladies,
amigo!

Amen! Comrade Pat is alive and well! Best holiday news we could get.

--
Herb

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
~ RAH

Old December 23rd 05, 05:50 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Amen! Comrade Pat is alive and well! Best holiday news we could get.

I am alive, but anything but well as of yet.

Pat
Old December 24th 05, 01:46 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:50:52 -0600, in sci.space.history Pat Flannery
wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Amen! Comrade Pat is alive and well! Best holiday news we could get.

I am alive, but anything but well as of yet.

Pat

Any day above ground, old son...

Welcome back.

Old December 24th 05, 06:48 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Got a whopper of a case of phlebitis in my arm after I had my appendics
out. Heat elevation etc, (the heat actually felt good) I understand
that mine stemmed from using perhaps to small a vein for the pain
killer used. The thing that really sucks is that apparently it can
cause a predispostion to getting it in the future, or so I was told.
Now whenever I have a procedure done I just have to be aware of the
signs.....did the young farm raised nurses in smocks have nice
complexions??? Tell us more..............Doc

Old December 25th 05, 12:30 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

wrote:

Got a whopper of a case of phlebitis in my arm after I had my appendics
out. Heat elevation etc, (the heat actually felt good) I understand
that mine stemmed from using perhaps to small a vein for the pain
killer used. The thing that really sucks is that apparently it can
cause a predispostion to getting it in the future, or so I was told.
Now whenever I have a procedure done I just have to be aware of the
signs.....did the young farm raised nurses in smocks have nice
complexions??? Tell us more..............Doc

In my case it was apparently due to the strength of the antibiotics they
were using.
They had to use a total of three different IV injection points while I
was there due to the phlebitis, and both hands are still sore and stiff,
with some of the fingers numb.
The nurses all had the glowing farm girl complexions, including the
around 30 year old knock-out who admitted that waxing her eyebrows was
about as painful as tearing the heavy duty tape off of my arm's IV
connections.
What was spooky was just how young the nurses looked- they are RN's, so
they must be in their early 20's, but they looked around 16 to me...I
think as a guy gets older women tend to look younger, and all the
cartoon character smocks probably had something to do with that
impression also.
I felt like I was being cared for by a bunch of schoolgirls, and the
fact that one looked like Kirsten Dunst didn't help, as we all know
she's in high school with Peter Parker. :-)

Pat
Old December 25th 05, 03:13 AM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:

I felt like I was being cared for by a bunch of schoolgirls, and the
fact that one looked like Kirsten Dunst didn't help..

Incipient candy-striper syndrome.

Don't go there -- at least not until fully recuperated.

Old December 25th 05, 12:39 PM posted to sci.space.history

Monte Davis wrote:

Incipient candy-striper syndrome.

Don't go there -- at least not until fully recuperated.

Women of that age really don't appeal to me. In fact that's one of my rules:

1. No women over ten years younger than you are, as you will have few
shared experiences you both grew up with to talk about.
2. No women over ten years older than you are for the same reason.
3. No women you work with or for or works for you; if things go awry you
will still be running into them on a regular basis.
4. No women who live in your close vicinity for the same reason.
5. No women from a markedly different socioeconomic background than
yourself, as their world view will be very different from yours.
6. No women whose education level is markedly different than yours, as
again you will have little to talk about.
7. No women whose ex-boyfriends were crazy or criminals, that should be
a real good clue that there is something odd going on upstairs with them.
8. No women with children, as that adds a great deal of complexity to
any relationship.*
9. No women whose finances are in a state of constant chaos, as that
indicates that your finances will also end up that way shortly.
10. No women whose family is odd, as the acorn doesn't fall far from the
tree.

The key to all these rules is to obey them scrupulously, as if you do
that you will soon realize that virtually all the women that you
encounter are disqualified by at least one of them, and you can then
avoid the cost and complexity of dating and spend your time and money on
more worthwhile pursuits- such as studying unbuilt rocket and jet
powered aircraft designs of the Third Reich and the mating habits of
giant squids. ;-)

* Male lions neatly solve this problem by killing any cubs left by their
predecessor on taking over a new pride of females.
W.C. Fields would probably approve of this concept.

Pat