Jupiter to Explode Sunday

Old September 20th 03, 09:39 AM
Keith

Default Jupiter to Explode Sunday

(Clave), Wrote:

OOH!!! -- PLUTONIUM!!!

http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/JUPFULLx.htm
-----

Me being an Internet expert on science and all, I postulate an even
bigger danger here that would be from an astronaut on a future space
shuttle mission in Jupiter's orbit sitting outside the ship, enjoying
the view while lighting a fine cigar, then flicking the match towards
the planet and...KABOOM!

--
Keith

Jim

"What's going to happen?...Something wonderful."

_____

"Cosmic upheaval is not so moving as a little child pondering the death
of a sparrow in the corner of a barn." -Anouk Aimee, French Actor
_____

"Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny", Aeschylus (525BC-456BC),
Agamemnon
_____

"I wear no Burka." - Mother Nature

----------
The mailbox, has been circumvented to fight spam.
To send mail... substitute ModerateMammal
----------

Old September 20th 03, 06:27 PM
Tim Heise

Don't mess with Jupiter!
tbh
Old September 21st 03, 05:27 AM
Double-A

(Keith) wrote in message ...
(Clave), Wrote:

[...]

If Jupiter were to ignite into a small star, would there be anywhere
on Earth that would stay cool enough for mankind to survive?

Antarctica?

Double-A
Old September 21st 03, 06:05 AM
Greysky

"Keith" wrote in message

(Clave), Wrote:

OOH!!! -- PLUTONIUM!!!

http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/JUPFULLx.htm
-----

Me being an Internet expert on science and all, I postulate an even
bigger danger here that would be from an astronaut on a future space
shuttle mission in Jupiter's orbit sitting outside the ship, enjoying
the view while lighting a fine cigar, then flicking the match towards
the planet and...KABOOM!

--
Keith

Jim

"What's going to happen?...Something wonderful."

I just hope the Jovians don't misinterpret our delivering over 90 kilograms
of plutonium into their floating cities of gold and diamond as an act of
war. We would have no defence against their use of hydrogen gas as a
weaponized effluent.

Old September 21st 03, 07:13 AM
John Griffin

(Double-A) wrote:

(Keith) wrote in message

t...
(Clave), Wrote:

[...]

It seems to me that the energy flux at Earth from a Jupiter-size
star at its distance would be less than the random fluctuations
in energy from the sun. Anyway, the probability of Jupiter
becoming a star is about the same as the probability of a
"Planet X" junkie getting a clue, and it has been demonstrated
that the chance of that happening in the lifetime of the solar
system is very near zero.

Old September 21st 03, 07:37 AM
Clave

"John Griffin" wrote in message
. 1.4...

It seems to me that the energy flux at Earth from a Jupiter-size
star at its distance would be less than the random fluctuations
in energy from the sun. Anyway, the probability of Jupiter
becoming a star is about the same as the probability of a
"Planet X" junkie getting a clue, and it has been demonstrated
that the chance of that happening in the lifetime of the solar
system is very near zero.

IIRC, Galileo took the Big Dive about twelve hours ago. I think that's enough
time for the light to have gotten here from there.

Unless the NASA conspiracy's bigger than I thought...

Jim

Old September 21st 03, 08:20 AM
Irony Alert

"John Griffin" wrote in message
. 1.4...
(Double-A) wrote:

(Keith) wrote in message

t...
(Clave), Wrote:

[...]

To punctuate the point, Jupiter did not explode. NEXT!

Old September 21st 03, 09:54 AM
Paul Schlyter

In article ,
Double-A wrote:

If Jupiter were to ignite into a small star, would there be anywhere
on Earth that would stay cool enough for mankind to survive?

If you by a "small star" mean a star significantly fainter than the
Sun, remember that since Jupiter is some 5 times more distant than
the Sun, even if Jupiter would become as bright as the Sun, the
incoming intensity at the Earth would only be 1/25 of the incoming
intensity of the Sun. And if this new "Jupiter star" did shine at
only 1/10 the solar brightness, the incoming intensity at the
Earth would only be 1/250 of the Sun and would pose no problem.

However, 1/250 the Sun's apparent brightness is still 2,000 times
brighter than the full Moon, so for skywatchers there would be
severe light pollution problems.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/
Old September 21st 03, 02:46 PM
Richard Henry

"Paul Schlyter" wrote in message
Double-A wrote:

If Jupiter were to ignite into a small star, would there be anywhere
on Earth that would stay cool enough for mankind to survive?

If you by a "small star" mean a star significantly fainter than the
Sun, remember that since Jupiter is some 5 times more distant than
the Sun, even if Jupiter would become as bright as the Sun, the
incoming intensity at the Earth would only be 1/25 of the incoming
intensity of the Sun. And if this new "Jupiter star" did shine at
only 1/10 the solar brightness, the incoming intensity at the
Earth would only be 1/250 of the Sun and would pose no problem.

However, 1/250 the Sun's apparent brightness is still 2,000 times
brighter than the full Moon, so for skywatchers there would be
severe light pollution problems.

Not every night.

Sometimes it rains.

Old September 21st 03, 09:18 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:37:15 -0700, "Clave"
wrote:

Unless the NASA conspiracy's bigger than I thought...

Yes, they beta-tested for Galileo 9 years ago by crashing
Shoemaker-Levy into it first.

My favourite Galileo link:
http://galileo.imss.firenze.it/museo/4/eiv10.html

(I've visited and seen the real exhibit - great museum)
--
Smert' spamionam