ASTRO: AstroTools - PhotoShop Action(s) - 1 attachment

Old October 19th 10, 10:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Joseph Schmosovich

Default ASTRO: AstroTools - PhotoShop Action(s) - 1 attachment

..
....Found while cruz'g the internet year or two ago,
source UnKwn...
..
....Installation, Easy, Copy to the following directiory:

x:\Adobe\PhotoShopCS-vXX\Presets\Actions
..
IIIDaemon

Old October 20th 10, 11:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

"Joseph Schmosovich" wrote in message
31...
.
...Found while cruz'g the internet year or two ago,
source UnKwn...
.
...Installation, Easy, Copy to the following directiory:

x:\Adobe\PhotoShopCS-vXX\Presets\Actions
.
IIIDaemon

Hi. Could you give us a bit of information on this attachment, what it
does, how to access it in photoshop, etc? TIA

George

Old October 20th 10, 09:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Joseph Schmosovich

..
....my apologies.. I found these on the internet a coupla years ago and
basically forgot about them.. i found 2 copies with 2 diff copyrights and
dates, they seemed to be the exact same thing, but i did not go thru each
of the 'Actions/Macros' to verify they are the same or whether there
have been slight modifications.. if your concern is viral i can tell you
this: these are Adobe PhotoShop Actions which are basically Macro's..
these actions/macro are mearly recorded steps in applying filters and
layers.. i suppose there is a point where a a dozen diff combinations of
filters 'might' crash PhotoShop, but i've never seen it happen, these
macro's will not infect your system.. once copied to the proper directory
they are loaded along with the default photoshop actions and filters..
they cannot be executed any other way.. again once loaded they reside on
the PhotoShop Tool Palettes, mine is next to the Hisory Group/Palette..
they are labled and are pretty self explanatory i.e. Reduce Large Halos,
Reduce Small Halos..etc.., i have only tried the Reduce Halos and only on
one image, from that extensive test it seemed to work fairly well, it
did effect the entire image slightly but it worked.. i'm certain if one
was so inclined they could go in and tweek these, which after i recover
from the marathon photoshop session i just pulled on my M33 i might try
;] , again i apologize for the lack of info in my original post, i've

been 'playing' with photoshop since v1.0 and just assumed...
..
Install: copy the *.atn file to the following directory:
x:\Adobe\PhotoShopCS-vXX\Presets\Actions

Construct RGB Image from Channel Files - Create RGB from mono
filtered files
Synthesize Green Channel from Red and Blue - Create synthetic green
channel
Soft Color Gradient Removal - Remove a color gradient across the
image
Hard Color Gradient Removal - Remove a more severe color gradient
Light Pollution Removal - Remove light pollution gradient
Select Brighter Stars - Select stars in your image for further
processing
Make Stars Smaller - Make bloated stars smaller, bring out DSOs
Less Crunchy More Fuzzy - smooth oversharpened images, bring out star
color
Space Noise Reduction - Noise reduction for the darker areas of the
image
Deep Space Noise Reduction - Noise reduction only in the darkest
parts
Color Blotch Reduction - Remove only color noise, leaving fine detail
intact
Horizontal Banding Noise Reduction - Removes horizontal pattern noise
Vertical Banding Noise Reduction - Removes vertical pattern noise
Fade Sharpen to Mostly Lighten - Get rid of dark circles around stars
Reduce Small Blue/Violet Halos - Desaturate and darken halos around
stars
Reduce Large Blue/Violet Halos - Desaturate and darken halos around
stars
Increase Star Color - Brings edge color into whited-out stars
Local Contrast Enhancement - Increase contrast between dark and light
Lighten Only DSO and Dimmer Stars - Lighten while keeping bright
stars tight
Enhance DSO and Reduce Stars - Make hard stars softer and lighten dim
stuff
B&W - Ha False Color - Convert to color as through Hydrogen Alpha
filter
B&W - Ha False Color Black Space - As above but with blacker deep
space
B&W - OIII False Color - Convert to color as through Oxygen III
filter
B&W - OIII False Color Black Space - As above but with blacker deep
space
Star Diffraction Spikes Tiny Stars - Put diffraction spikes on most
stars
Star Diffraction Spikes Small Stars - Put diffraction spikes on many
stars
Star Diffraction Spikes Medium Stars - Put diffraction spikes on
larger stars
Star Diffraction Spikes Fat Stars - Put diffraction spikes on largest
stars
Astro Frame - Add a background color border with room for caption
..
IIIDaemon
http://www.GasRecovery.net
..

DLpSv508
Chip Douglas

Expiration date: 25Dec2013
0JW34MVV8TXW4YSX3HX73U4SAC8
..

Old October 21st 10, 07:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Those are Noel Carboni's actions and are protected. You are breaking
the law using them without paying for them. They are cheap enough. Pay
the $22 for them rather than steal them.
http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/As...l_Version.html
Rick

.

Old October 21st 10, 01:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Joseph Schmosovich

..
....i have stolen nothing, in fact i explained that...
..

Rick Johnson wrote in news:4cbfe2c1$0$17793
:

Old October 21st 10, 05:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

If you didn't pay for them they are stolen. It is also illegal to give
them freely as you have done. The fact someone else acted illegally
distributing them doesn't change that. That's what the copyright means.
If you paid for them you of course have the right to use them BUT NOT
to distribute them to others.
Rick

On 10/21/2010 7:36 AM, Joseph Schmosovich wrote:
.
...i have stolen nothing, in fact i explained that...
.

Rick wrote in news:4cbfe2c1$0$17793
:

Old October 21st 10, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
ster.com...

If you didn't pay for them they are stolen. It is also illegal to give
them freely as you have done. The fact someone else acted illegally
distributing them doesn't change that. That's what the copyright means.
If you paid for them you of course have the right to use them BUT NOT
to distribute them to others.
Rick

I'm glad you pointed this out, Rick. I thought what he had posted was
simply someone's presets that they had devised. So I guess I 'll be
deleting it. No big deal. Never figured out how to access them anyway.

George

Old October 22nd 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 10/21/2010 12:43 PM, George wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
ster.com...

If you didn't pay for them they are stolen. It is also illegal to give
them freely as you have done. The fact someone else acted illegally
distributing them doesn't change that. That's what the copyright means.
If you paid for them you of course have the right to use them BUT NOT
to distribute them to others.
Rick

I'm glad you pointed this out, Rick. I thought what he had posted was
simply someone's presets that they had devised. So I guess I 'll be
deleting it. No big deal. Never figured out how to access them anyway.

George

There are some very useful free plugins for PS out there. This isn't
one of them. Hasta Lavista Green is a great one for instance. I use it
on nearly all my images. Can really help color balance when a faint
green sky glow screws things up which is quite common at my latitude.
But even then the author only authorizes it for personal use and not
distribution requiring that come only from his website. That ensures
you get the latest version and access to instructions though those
aren't really needed.

In the case of Carboni's astronomy tools these actions are very useful
and well worth the $23 or so he is asking for them. A one man operation
can't have a legal department to enforce his product license. Such
actions are not easily protected, he has to rely on the honesty of his
customers.

The actions are specific to each version of PS. So those for CS won't
work on CS2 or any other version though in some cases they will appear
to, usually something isn't right and the action doesn't work as it
should. That might be why you couldn't get them to work.

I found their main usefulness was in teaching me the finer points of PS.
By looking at each step of the action I learned a lot and how to make
actions better tuned to my imaging. They are a one size fits all type
of thing and this is fine if your imaging needs fit, mine usually
didn't. But I learned how to make them that do. Far cheaper than the
$100 CDs out there. The price is certainly very reasonable for what I
gained out of them.

I don't use noise reduction at least in the sense most mean by the term.
But many swear by his two noise reduction routines as worth the cost
alone. I prefer my system but it is more time consuming than just
clicking one of his actions. If you have preserved star color by not
allowing stars to come near saturation either when imaged or during
processing then his increase star color action is very good. I do
sometimes still use it when in a hurry. If color data is poor in that
the star sizes vary for a white star then the routine can hurt rather
than help but when all three channels are equal as to FWHM it works
great. The ability to create a synthetic green channel is great for
making color images from the POSS red and blue FITS images. There are
many other actions but they aren't ones I use but many do.

Rick

Old October 22nd 10, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Joseph Schmosovich

..
....Rick i understood perfectly what you said and what you were implying,
i held my tongue out of respect to the others in this group.. however
since you insist on 'making your point' i'll do the same.. "Go ****
Yourself Pal' i suppose you have verified they are in fact the same
before you started spewing your acusations and alegations.. this set of
actions or macros are only time savers, they add no function or feature
to photoshop, if this person sells them well '..theres a sucker born
every minute..' and btw the majority of them are useless in my opinion
anyway, again, there is nothing unique in function or code with these,
the fact that this person spent the time to compile them may in his mind
justify the 22$ and what i believe to be a ficticuos 'Copyright'anyway,
but if i go in and "reComplie" them, change the names it would then
become a different 'product' wouldn't it, given inflation and the
apparent need for a step-by-step user & installation manual maybe i could
get 32$ for it, in my opinion copying these macros and editing them for
my or anyone elses personal use is absolutly no diff than what you do on
almost every image i've seen you post i.e. the sky atlas data, so.., let
me reiterate, "Go **** Yourself Pal"...
..
....I honestly hope that i havn't ****ed off any1 that has tried to help
me out.. i was only trying to do the same.. these supposed know it alls
and gaurdians of the internet really **** me off when they start to spew
their holier than thou horse ****...
..
....one other lil time saver i'll add.. if you or any1 else wanting to
ride your soap-box/band-wagon wants to flame me.. please.. dont waste
your keystrokes.. seriously...
..
IIIDaemon

"George" wrote in news:t-
:

Old October 22nd 10, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Yes, of course, I did compare them to the set I lawfully purchased. As
you noted they are copyright protected.

Far from flaming you I was just pointing out that these weren't free to
use actions from a legal point of view as you incorrectly stated. Those
who respect the rights of others, like George, appreciated learning
this. I thought you might as well, apparently not.

I don't agree that if someone illegally puts something on the net that
gives others, such as yourself, the right to use it. You are free to
disagree. Copyright law supports my position, only vulgarities support
yours it appears. I was just pointing out to those who care about the
rights of others that this was Noel Carboni's work. Easily verified by
very first lines. Or it can be verified by going to his website I
linked to. I quote from your attachments first lines: "A s t r o n o m
y T o o l s P S C S 2 v 1 _ 5 - C o p y r i g h t 2 0 0 6
- N o e l C a r b o n i ."

If it makes me a sucker to respect the US copyright law in your mind
then so be it. In my mind it makes me an honest supporter of amateur
astrophotography. I sleep well. Your resort to vulgarity tells me all
I need to know about you and your inability to defend your position.

Rick

On 10/21/2010 8:38 PM, Joseph Schmosovich wrote:
.
[...]

wrote in news:t-
: