Ancient ssh topic question now answered: Who did the Apolloanimations for See-BS?

Old September 12th 12, 10:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Ancient ssh topic question now answered: Who did the Apolloanimations for See-BS?

....Back when the group was new, Henry, Beady, me, Mary, Pat and even stick-up-the-ass Dwayne were among the growing ranks of the regulars, one of the questions posed but never was the answer found was:

A) Who did the well-timed mission animations that See-BS used throughout their Apollo mission coverage?

B) Who did the model work - building, filming, etc - used for the docking sequences, orbital separation and separate flight sequences, and the eventual redocking sequences.

....Over the years before the trolls and whackjobs destroyed this group, the best guesses any of us managed to get from people who worked at See-BS - including Unca Walter Cronkite - was that the animations were done by Terrytoons, which See-BS had bought out a few years ago so they could produce "Tom Terrific" shorts for "Captain Kangaroo" a lot cheaper than even sending them to Korea these days. The model work nobody seemed to know, or knew anyone who would know, but it appeared to be just a couple of Revell kits - the Monogram CSM stack was still a couple of years away, as was their far superior if underscaled LM kit - shot in front of a blue or probably a black screen; Walter's set was usually covered in black felt not just to make it look spacy, but so art cards and other graphics could be screened behind him if necessary.

....But now, thanks to alfredroberthogan on YouTube, the answer to who created these artistic touches that helped make See-BS' coverage of the Apollo missions far superior to their competition, we now know who gets the credit and for what:

* Director Joel Banow and Reel III Animation did the Saturn V launch, sep and orbital insertion work, as well as the LM final landing sequences, including the "looped" touchdown where the engines burned for about 60 seconds after landing...which honestly wasn't that far from the truth

* The model work was done by See-BS by Richard Spies, under the leadership of a man I'd heard of even when I was just this kid hanging around the local See-BS station, network EP Bob Wussler. Together they created those terrific CBS NEWS SIMULATIONS seen in the prologue to the opening main title, and the scale models of the CSM stack and the LM.

....So, the only thing left is to discern what happened to the models. I figure they're either on someone's shelf, or someone's kid got them. Either way, we now know more of the story on these two particularly important aspects of See-BS's coverage of the Apollo Moon Landings. Just too damn bad Pat isn't around to read this

OM

ETERNAL QUESTION FINALLY ANSWERED [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 April 12th 09 02:30 PM
ASTRO: Filter Wheel question answered Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 0 December 3rd 06 11:31 PM
Off-topic question Joe S. Amateur Astronomy 1 November 25th 05 07:58 AM
Off topic question Hibes Misc 6 March 17th 05 08:25 PM
OFF Topic - Petition to save an ancient monumnet - All help appreciated Kevin Smith UK Astronomy 2 March 27th 04 01:32 AM