ASTRO: The Fath

Old December 13th 11, 09:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: The Fath

"The Fath is a small cluster of galaxies, near the center of the larger
cluster Abell 262. Located in Andromeda, it is at a distance of about
210 million light-years and includes many NGC galaxies, see my annotated
image. The elliptical galaxy, NGC 708, anchors the cluster. I found
this explanation for why it is named The Fath.

"The Fath is named after astronomer Edward Arthur Fath, 1880-1959. There
does not seem be any historical connection between Dr. Fath and the
cluster. This suggests that it is named as such, simply because the
cluster looks like the letter 'F'." I asked Dr. Pete Schultz (he
punched holes in a comet and the moon), who did his under grad work at
Carlton College where Dr. Fath did much of his later work, what he knew
about the group being named for him. While Fath was something of a
legend at the college this was the first he'd heard of the cluster being
named for him. So far he's turned up nothing. If he finds anything
I'll update this.

"Dr. Fath did groundbreaking research that led to determining that
spiral nebulae are actually distant galaxies." http://bf-astro.com/fath.htm

NGC 708 is the cD elliptical galaxy that anchors the Abell cluster.
The cluster, in turn, is part of the Pisces-Perseus supercluster. Many
papers speak of it having a dust lane across the nucleus at right angles
to the radio axis of the galaxy. I don't see the dust lane in my image.
It is likely too narrow for my resolution.

The annotated image notes the catalog name for apparent cluster members.
I considered any with a red shift of 150 to 270 million light-years to
be a member with the difference due to orbital velocities. Those
outside this range are noted only by their redshift distance.

NED has an apparent error involving NGC 704A They point to a galaxy far
too faint. Below NGC 704B is a galaxy not in NED that apparently is the
real NGC 704A. NED puts the position of the double galaxy NGC 704 as
half way between NGC 704B and the unidentified one below it. Adding
to the confusion the NGC project points to the lower galaxy to be NGC
704 making no mention of the upper galaxy yet in the text calls it the
second brightest of the group. That might apply to the upper galaxy but
not the lower. Also they call it round while the brighter NGC 704B is
oval. Simbad on the other hand says the southern one is NGC 704B with
the upper being NGC 704 and NGC 704A. My head is spinning.

VI Zw 088 and VI Zw 095 are described in notes as "neutral fuzzy
spherical compact" galaxies.

PGC 006974 seems to have some tidal sprays off the east and west sides.

IC 1737 appears to be just a double star. The position given is between
two blue stars.

UGC 01319 has star clouds in its arms that are brighter than its core.
Weird.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4X10' RGB=2X10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FATHL4X10RGB2X10X3r.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	3862  Click image for larger version

Name:	FATHL4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	3863  Click image for larger version

Name:	FATHL4X10RGB2X10X3CROPr.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	3864