Horizon tonight 9pm BBC2

Old October 20th 05, 09:42 AM
astrog

Default Horizon tonight 9pm BBC2

All about Cassini/Titan, hope theres no explosions :-)

Astrog

Old October 20th 05, 10:15 PM
Karatepe

astrog wrote:
All about Cassini/Titan, hope theres no explosions :-)

Astrog

One of the worst episodes of Horizon i've seen in along time. Still the
same 30 year old Voyager images pulled out of the image library. The
images from Cassini are more spectacular than any computer animation why
not use them?
Old October 21st 05, 01:31 AM
Gaz

I may be wrong but as that program was a repeat perhaps all the
data/images hadn't been released in time for the program makers to use
them?

I'm sure I watched that episode quite a while ago.

Gaz

Old October 21st 05, 01:55 AM
Cassini

"Gaz" wrote:

I may be wrong but as that program was a repeat perhaps all the
data/images hadn't been released in time for the program makers to use
them?

I'm sure I watched that episode quite a while ago.

You can be forgiven for having Deja vu moments, as although this episode
has not been broadcast before, it was made by recycling material from
3 earlier Horizons episodes, and a sprinking of new material.

Old October 21st 05, 09:57 AM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

You can be forgiven for having Deja vu moments, as although this episode
has not been broadcast before, it was made by recycling material from
3 earlier Horizons episodes, and a sprinking of new material.

It was a useful compendium but I lost count of how many time LIFE was mentioned. Seems the media can't relate to anything in outer space without such constant reference so as to keep folk moderately interested. What's wrong with just presenting physics - that's much more interesting than pond-life ;-))))

Nytecam
Old October 21st 05, 03:21 PM
Andy Guthrie

"nytecam" wrote in message

You can be forgiven for having Deja vu moments, as although this
episode
has not been broadcast before, it was made by recycling material from
3 earlier Horizons episodes, and a sprinking of new material.

It was a useful compendium but I lost count of how many time LIFE was
mentioned. Seems the media can't relate to anything in outer space
without such constant reference so as to keep folk moderately
interested. What's wrong with just presenting physics - that's much
more interesting than pond-life ;-))))

At least no explosions, but plenty of Saturn ring particles banging into
each other, with sound effects !

Old October 21st 05, 05:09 PM
James Hill

"astrog" wrote in message
All about Cassini/Titan, hope theres no explosions :-)

Astrog

If there were any explosions, they didn't wake me up! ;o) Seriously, I
really did fall asleep!

Cheers,
Jim

Old October 21st 05, 08:30 PM
Zanziba

"James Hill" wrote in message

"astrog" wrote in message
All about Cassini/Titan, hope theres no explosions :-)

Astrog

If there were any explosions, they didn't wake me up! ;o) Seriously, I
really did fall asleep!

I videod it for the kids at school but wrote it off as too dull for them
hald way through. A real dissapointment.

The way they overcame the antenae problem was pure genius however.

--
Zan

Old October 22nd 05, 05:12 PM
Peter Hayes

Zanziba wrote:

"James Hill" wrote in message

"astrog" wrote in message
All about Cassini/Titan, hope theres no explosions :-)

Astrog

If there were any explosions, they didn't wake me up! ;o) Seriously, I
really did fall asleep!

I videod it for the kids at school but wrote it off as too dull for them
hald way through. A real dissapointment.

The way they overcame the antenae problem was pure genius however.

Shame they forgot to switch the second receiver on, though.

--

Peter
Old October 22nd 05, 05:29 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Peter
Hayes writes
Zanziba wrote:

"James Hill" wrote in message

"astrog" wrote in message
All about Cassini/Titan, hope theres no explosions :-)

Astrog

If there were any explosions, they didn't wake me up! ;o) Seriously, I
really did fall asleep!

I videod it for the kids at school but wrote it off as too dull for them
hald way through. A real dissapointment.

The way they overcame the antenae problem was pure genius however.

Shame they forgot to switch the second receiver on, though.

It's my understanding that the transmitters and data streams were
intended to be redundant, with a short delay in case something was lost
on one stream. It was decided to use two different streams and get
double the results - except for the wind speed measurements which were
completely lost (and resurrected by the fortuitous reception on Earth).
But how close did they come to leaving _both_ receivers turned off?? ESA
has been extraordinarily lucky.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that Cassini had a
major problem at Jupiter, which lost some data there. But what was
returned compares quite well with the total amount of atmospheric
science returned by Galileo (thanks to the state of Uncle Sam's roads).

Not a very satisfactory "Horizon", though.
--
Boycott Yahoo!