Greetings from an observer in San Francisco.

Old September 26th 03, 06:08 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Default Greetings from an observer in San Francisco.

Etok wrote:
I admire many things British, but must confess I have absolutely no
understanding of your "football".

Ah. It differs from the abomination that you call "foot"ball in a number
of ways:

* The ball is played with the feet, not with the hands, by _all_ the
players in the team (hence the name), not just one of them who has to
rest for long periods between kicks.
* The introduction of Velcro on footwear did not instantaneously solve
_the_ major life-crisis of 90% of the players.
* The game is sufficiently interesting that skantily-clad nubile totty
cavorting on the sidelines would be classed as a distraction, not as an
essential element.
* The players do not wear kevlar full-body armour to guard against the
possibility of actual physical contact with other players.
* The players are not great nancy-boys who have to stop for a rest every
90 seconds.
* The combined IQ of a full squad of players is slightly _more_ than
that of a courgette (zucchini?).

Oh, and welcome to uk.s.a. :-)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old September 26th 03, 07:16 AM
Jim

Stephen Tonkin wrote:

* The combined IQ of a full squad of players is slightly _more_ than
that of a courgette (zucchini?).

Oh, come now, that's *surely* not true?

Jim
--
AIM/iChat:JCAndrew2
"We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal
Old September 26th 03, 07:57 AM
John Carruthers

Greetings Etok, and welcome.
12.5" Newtonian under construction,

How's the mirror coming on ?
admire many things British, but must confess I have absolutely
no understanding of your "football".

You won't untill you can find a doctor who is prepared to remove your
brain ;-)
(try looking up the rules for cricket, now that's weird)
and volunteer time at our monthly
"Star Parties", which are open to the public.

Yes the public nights are often rewarding and sometimes entertaining,
off to one tonight, cloud permitting.
jc

---

Old September 26th 03, 10:41 AM
SimonP

Etok wrote in article
Hello, my fellow observers in the UK.

snip
I admire many things British, but must confess I have absolutely no
understanding of your "football".

Ha! That's child's play!! As soon as you've sorted it try looking up
a real sport. Don't know whether you'll get it on ESPN or whatever
but if you get a chance take a look at some of the upcoming Rugby
Union world cup – that really will confuse you g

So with your permission, I will be happy to make what contributions I can
to your usenet newsgroup, and send you greetings and salutations.

Etok,
1) you don't actually need our permission (I know, I know, it's always
nice to ask first)
2) I can't see you as being anything but welcome here (just ignore the
odd stickler that might whinge about it being a UK group cough Dr.JS
cough sits back and waits to warm his hands on the flames ;-)
3) you'll probably have seen some of the other SAA regulars kicking
around here already.

Enjoy and welcome aboard.
--
Simon
51:31N 0:38W
Old September 26th 03, 11:46 AM
Martin Frey

"Etok" wrote:

I admire many things British, but must confess I have absolutely no
understanding of your "football".
So with your permission, I will be happy to make what contributions I can
to your usenet newsgroup, and send you greetings and salutations.
Warmest regards,
Etok
Mill Valley, California.

If you don't understand football you may also have some trouble with
the thread about brownies.

Brownies are the juvenile female wing of the UK campaign to legalise
cannabis.
Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old September 26th 03, 12:19 PM
Jim

Martin Frey wrote:

Brownies are the juvenile female wing of the UK campaign to legalise
cannabis.

Wow. Next time they come around selling cookies I'm going to buy some
:-)

Jim
--
AIM/iSight:JCAndrew2 - Log in and say 'hi'
Old September 26th 03, 01:35 PM
Geoff Smith

I think if I did that here in London, someone would beat me up and steal
the
telescope, or at least smash it just to be vindictive!

Thats what I was just thinking! Im surprised to hear its possible in San
Francisco.

Old September 26th 03, 02:01 PM
Martin Frey

"Dave" wrote:

I think if I did that here in London, someone would beat me up and steal the
telescope, or at least smash it just to be vindictive!

I've done this in a fairly rough part of Hackney - no problems at all
and a crowd of people all wanting questions answered.

Don't be too pessimistic about the hunger for knowledge everywhere.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old September 26th 03, 02:07 PM
Geoff Smith

Perhaps Etok works out?
--

Must do if he carries that 18" Dob around !

Old September 26th 03, 02:09 PM
Dave

I think if I did that here in London, someone would beat me up and steal
the
telescope, or at least smash it just to be vindictive!

I've done this in a fairly rough part of Hackney - no problems at all
and a crowd of people all wanting questions answered.

Don't be too pessimistic about the hunger for knowledge everywhere.

I wasn't until someone was shot 20 yards from my front door a few months
ago!