Junior High Astronomy....Help please

Old August 1st 04, 07:03 AM
Starry-Nite

Default Junior High Astronomy....Help please

(Loretta Ng) wrote:
Hello, I'm not quite sure whats appropriate for junior high levels in
regards to astronomy lessons....this is for teaching students
astronomy of course, I was thinking asides from teaching some about
each planet to also have lessons on the moon and the lunar movements.
Any ideas or good links? I would appreciate any suggestions if
possible!!!

Loretta Ng

Ms. Ng;

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time for a more detailed response.
I'm packing for a week at an observatory. I'll try to find the
opportunity to more with this later in the week.

(Besides, your question is very general, making it difficult to decide
how to help - there are so many options!)

Idea #1: I think that the most profound idea that I teach is just how
small the Earth is in comparison to most everything else, and just how
big and empty space really is. An exercise I use frequently with all
age groups is to build a scale model of the Solar System. I LOVE this
exercise, and have used it with kindergarteners to professional
astronomers!

The particular iteration of the Model Solar System I like the most was
created by Guy Ottewell / The Universal Workshop:
www.universalworkshop.com

The National Optical Astronomy Observatories has Guy's exercise online
at:
www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn/pcmain.html

Be sure to run through the exercise by yourself, first, before
springing it on a group. You need to allow yourself the chance to
FEEL what the sizes and distances do to you!

Idea #2: I have just become involved in a wonderful program called
Project ASTRO. Project ASTRO is an outreach program designed by the
Astronomical Society of the Pacific, supported by NASA, and funded by
the National Science Foundation.

Their web site is:
http://www.astrosociety.org/educatio...ect_astro.html

Quoting their web site, "Project ASTRO? improves the teaching of
astronomy and physical science in classrooms, and in youth groups, by
linking professional and amateur astronomers with local educators.
Each astronomer is matched with an educator in a one-on-one
partnership and commits to visiting the educator's students at least
four times during the school year. Over 500 active educator-astronomer
partnerships currently bring the excitement of scientific discovery
through astronomy to roughly 20,000 students annually."

"The main focus of Project ASTRO educator-astronomer partnerships is
hands-on, inquiry-based activities that put students in the position
of acting like scientists - as they come to understand more about the
universe (and science in general)."

I'm with Project ASTRO - Polaris, which is responsible for the Great
Lakes area. There are a dozen Project ASTRO National Network Sites -
follow the links on the web site to find the program closest to you.

Idea #3: One of the coolest things that I really enjoy doing is being
a Solar System Ambassador for NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL). There
are over 300 NASA Ambassadors around the country. To find one near
you, see:
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/directory.htm

Just for grins check out my bio at:
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/...l_Foerster.htm

Ambassadors are trained to discuss the work done at JPL, which is the
exploration of the Solar System. (The ambassadors also have their own
personal astronomical interests, above and beyond what we do for JPL,
that may be of interest to you.) The Mars rover robots and the Saturn
Cassini missions are just a small part of what we do at JPL. We are
also very actively exploring our own Earth, monitoring our planet from
orbit.

JPL currently has missions spread throughout the Solar System; from
the Sun, past each of the planets (except Pluto, thus far!), to the
asteroids and comets, and, with the Voyager missions, now entering
interstellar space for the first time!

Idea #4: I really like Mr. Lawler's suggestion that you look to local
astronomers for ideas and support. One tool that amateur astronomers
have available to them is, "The Night Sky Network". The Night Sky Net
is another program of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, in
conjunction with NASA. The Night Sky Net provides resources to local
astronomical societies for the teaching of astronomy to the general
public.

Lately the Night Sky Net has been focusing on the discovery of planets
around other stars (about 120 planets beyond our Solar System have
been discovered so far, last I checked).

The Night Sky Network home page is:
http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/

# # # # #

I hope that I have been of some help. I can think of a TON of other
cool resources I'll write about when I have a chance.

Please do not hesitate to e-mail me if I may be of assistance!

¤ Clear skies & a star to steer by! Michael ¤

************************************************* ********
Michael Foerster ¤ Pres/Research Lead, Skywatch-GL
¤Solar System Ambassador, NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab
¤Night Sky Net Coordinator, The Starry-Nite Society
¤E-Address: Skywatch@(insert domain from next line).net
¤Domain: Starry-Nite.net
¤N42°31'13.3" ¤ W83°08'43.2" ¤ 668' ¤ -5 GMT
FAMOUS LAST WORDS - A SERIES
"There is no reason anyone would want a
computer in their home."
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder
of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977