String Theory: Is It Valid?

Old April 6th 04, 07:30 AM
Odysseus

Default String Theory: Is It Valid?

Hello all,

A few months ago I watched a PBS documentary on String Theory. I was
wondering if experts here can tell me if they believe there is any
validity to String Theory? I saw a lot of speculation, but no
evidence. They believe that when the new particle accelerator is
finished, they will find evidence.

Thanks.
________________________________

Neo-Eugenics: http://www.neoeugenics.com/
John Bryant, World's Most Controversial Author:
http://www.thebirdman.org/
Save America from Immigration: http://www.amren.com/
Is Immigration Distroying America?: http://www.vdare.com/
Humanitarian Eugenics: http://www.eugenics.net/
The Key to Immortality: http://www.transtopia.org/
Jeff Rense: The Most Uncensored national radio show:
http://www.rense.com/
Pat Buchanan Will Save America from Terrorism:
http://www.amconmag.com/
Old April 6th 04, 01:47 PM
HAVRILIAK

ey believe there is any
validity to String Theory?

Maybe this is a moot point but string theory is a valid mathamatical theory
because like most theories its starts off with a postulate and then derives the
consequences followig certain rules. The question should be "Can string theory
be applied to Astronomy?" The result might be that it is a valid theory but
its of no use in astronomy.

Old April 6th 04, 03:48 PM
Sam Wormley

Odysseus wrote:

A few months ago I watched a PBS documentary on String Theory. I was
wondering if experts here can tell me if they believe there is any
validity to String Theory?

It hasn't been tested!
There are expertiments testing for a 5th dimension--null results to date.

The PBS program you refer to is online at
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/programs.html

Old April 6th 04, 05:29 PM
Mitch Alsup

(Odysseus) wrote in message . com...
Hello all,

A few months ago I watched a PBS documentary on String Theory. I was
wondering if experts here can tell me if they believe there is any
validity to String Theory? I saw a lot of speculation, but no
evidence. They believe that when the new particle accelerator is
finished, they will find evidence.

Thanks.

String theory today (after many many years of development) is just
now becoming useful.

In a pendanic sense, it is not yet a theory, as it has made no
predictions and solved no problems that cannot also be solved with
the standard model. However, there is general agreement that the
standard model is missing something and every once in a while
experiments from the particle accelerators give a glimmer that
the standard model is not quite right. In addition, with precise
confirmation that the universe is expanding at an accelerating
rate and the confirmation of dark matter and dark energy (COBE,
MAP) there is a lot of pieces to a puzzel to be fit together
into either the standard model or something else with string
theories in the running.

There are 5 or 6 competing theories and these seem to be
different way of looking at the same (as yet undetermined)
thing(s). M-theory is a way to combine all the competing
string theories into a cogent package. There is still much
work left to do before any or all of these things becomes
real theories and allow significant advancement of our
understanding of the universe and the physics that takes
place within.

Old April 6th 04, 08:19 PM
Wfoley2

It is valid, as a theory, as are other theories such as Geocentric Universe,
Flat Earth, etc.
However it is unproven and perhaps even unjustified.
Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)