The Economist cover story: Scuttle the Shuttle- Old, Unsafe and Costly.

Old September 2nd 03, 04:07 PM
ElleninLosAngeles

Default The Economist cover story: Scuttle the Shuttle- Old, Unsafe and Costly.

I saw this at the news stand. The Economist cover photo is the shuttle
superimposed on a big moon photo. Looks silly, like the shuttle is
doing a flyby of the moon. Even though it's the cover story, it's only
one page long. Says to "scuttle the shuttle" as it's too costly, is
unsafe and is using old technology that can be improved upon.

You can see the cover photo here, but you need to subscribe to read
the article online:
http://www.economist.com/printedition/

Ellen
Old September 2nd 03, 06:51 PM
Brian Gaff

But that is the whole problem, isn't it?You cannot scuttle your only way to
move what you want to move till you have something better to replace it, and
the money its been eating is the reason nothing is there to replace it, so,
I'm sorry I put the current situation firmly in the hands of the bean
counters and politicians who seem to be fine with make do and mend
mentalities.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

"ElleninLosAngeles" wrote in message
om...
| I saw this at the news stand. The Economist cover photo is the shuttle
| superimposed on a big moon photo. Looks silly, like the shuttle is
| doing a flyby of the moon. Even though it's the cover story, it's only
| one page long. Says to "scuttle the shuttle" as it's too costly, is
| unsafe and is using old technology that can be improved upon.
|
| You can see the cover photo here, but you need to subscribe to read
| the article online:

http://www.economist.com/printedition/

| Ellen

---

Old September 3rd 03, 12:38 AM
Paul F. Dietz

Brian Gaff wrote:

But that is the whole problem, isn't it?You cannot scuttle your only way to
move what you want to move till you have something better to replace it,

Sure you can. As an existence proof, consider the development of the shuttle
itself.

Paul

Old September 3rd 03, 11:01 AM
Brian Gaff

I don't see your point, there were no international commitments when the
Shuttle was designed.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message
| Brian Gaff wrote:
|
| But that is the whole problem, isn't it?You cannot scuttle your only way
| move what you want to move till you have something better to replace it,
|
| Sure you can. As an existence proof, consider the development of the
shuttle
| itself.
|
| Paul

---