Somewhat OT but the folks with pertinent knowledge are here - Mystery Launch Near Los Angeles

Old November 9th 10, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

Default Somewhat OT but the folks with pertinent knowledge are here - Mystery Launch Near Los Angeles

See link below - interesting that they have the news copter video - but no
statements by others who saw it such as airline pilots, boaters, airport
radar operators, folks walking on the beach etc. If the military was
launching something, a Pacific Missile Range warning to aircraft to stay
clear would normally be issued. Launches from VAGB usually keep airplanes
out of the airspace below the missile as a launch failure precaution.

http://www.newkerala.com/news/world/fullnews-80234.html

Old November 9th 10, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

Val Kraut wrote:
See link below - interesting that they have the news copter video -
but no statements by others who saw it such as airline pilots,
boaters, airport radar operators, folks walking on the beach etc. If
the military was launching something, a Pacific Missile Range
warning to aircraft to stay clear would normally be issued. Launches
from VAGB usually keep airplanes out of the airspace below the
missile as a launch failure precaution.

http://www.newkerala.com/news/world/fullnews-80234.html

A KCBS-TV news helicopter in Los Angeles captured the large
missile at around 5 p.m. local time.

If they captured the missile it should be but a matter of inspecting
it All snark aside, I thought KCBS was the call sign for a TV
stations in San Francisco, some 400-odd miles North of Los Angles.
While it is possible they had a news helicopter down there for some
reason, it seems rather unlikely. I think the CBS affiliate down
there is KCAL. The two may be closely related - perhaps they have
common ownership.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/ seems to have footage. If I don't
make a transcription mistake (separate computers) the direct link
would be:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2010/...ff-california/

--
the road to hell is paved with business decisions...
Old November 9th 10, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
American

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2010/...-explain-missi...

--
the road to hell is paved with business decisions...
feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com *but NOT BOTH...

The Navy is not that stupid to allow something like this to happen;
yet some have suggested that this may have been a show of force to the
world while Obama was in India.

Or it may have been the other way around - a show of force by the
Chinese after reports of "China warns U.S. currency bill might hurt
ties", or "China to Tighten Control on Inflows of Overseas Funds",
etc. Since the launch occurred approximately 30 miles offshore, and if
it were a Chinese submarine, the missile may have had the potential to
reach NYC or even Washington, D.C.

Whatever it was, it definitely wasn't a mistake!

American

"We can't remember their game, but their nasty manners are familiar"
Old November 9th 10, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2010/...ff-california/

From the link:
/quote
“Nobody within the Department of Defense that we’ve reached out to has been
able to explain what this contrail is, where it came from,” Pentagon spokesman
Col. Dave Lapan said.
/end-quote

To paraphrase from a previously quoted movie...

I've been to a worlds fair and at least 3 rodeos that I can remember and this
is the stupidest thing I've ever laid eyes upon on the Internet.

If that's really true, somebody's ass need to be fired yesterday.
This wasn't some party favor prank. This was a sub launched I[CR]BM off our
own coastal waters. We're lucky it was heading west... What the hell....

Note the contrail track showing nearly vertical until guidance take control
and stears it away on course.

Somebody's covering ass big time....

IR recon sats can pinpoint the launch location precisely. The Pentagon not
only knows where and when but likely who and has been ordered to play dumb. I
mean not just dumb, just plain stupid. You want a believable cover story,
claim you did it and let the cards lie on the table. Obviously whoever really
did this isn't talking and isn't going to. Pentagon needs to get it's cover
story straight and claim responsibility even when it wasn't, otherwise we all
just look like incompetent fools and this weakens our deterrent. Only Bob
Ellsworth spun it right. WTF....

Also from the link:

/quote
Lapan said that “all indications” are that the Department of Defense was not
involved within the mystery object, and that the contrail might have been
created by something flown by a private company.
/end-quote

What does Lapan do in his spare time, sell Yugos?

No private company is launching over/in water, not since Sea Launch went under
and was just recently rescued. And they don't launch anything this high in
latitude. And the missile profile is incorrect, look at the sunlight
reflecting off the contrail, and note the time was 5pm. This is a missile
heading west, possibly north. Highly unlikely this is anything but a ballistic
trajectory as shown. It's a damned hard profile to orbit unless it's polar
and frankly this object lacks the heft for that.

When do we get to return the favor off the coast of Guishandao?
Hell of an attraction to add to: ???????

Dave

Old November 9th 10, 10:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
When do we get to return the favor off the coast of Guishandao?
Hell of an attraction to add to: ???????

That's was supposed to come out as:

香港迪斯尼ä¹å›*

Let's see what happens in UTF8...

Dave
Old November 9th 10, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

Or it may have been the other way around - a show of force by the
Chinese after reports of "China warns U.S. currency bill might hurt
ties", or "China to Tighten Control on Inflows of Overseas Funds",
etc. Since the launch occurred approximately 30 miles offshore, and if
it were a Chinese submarine, the missile may have had the potential to
reach NYC or even Washington, D.C.

Whatever it was, it definitely wasn't a mistake!

May as well start the paramoid views early in the thread.

In the morning a new cruise ship catches fire off Mexico and the Ronald
Reagan is redirected from training exercise someplace off the coast to aid
the ship with supplies. Was the fire an accident or a way to get our Navy
assets away from observing the launch - and maybe launching anti sub
aircraft in time to investigate - they may have already been airborne along
with E-2s if the training exercise continued.

The launch occured late in the day - my experience is the low sun angle
lighting provides the maximum show for the folks in LA, and even spectacular
displays like the Vandenberg Lights. Many people are on the freeway going
home or already at the beach or barbecue - maximizes viewing audience.

Our guys would have warned aviation and sea traffic in the area prior to the
launch.

My next prediction is the TWA 800 conspiracy folks who think a missile was
involved will be out of the wood work like stink on sh*t as soon as they
hear about this.

Val Kraut

Old November 10th 10, 07:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

On Nov 9, 2:07*pm, David Spain wrote:

No private company is launching over/in water, not since Sea Launch went under
and was just recently rescued. And they don't launch anything this high in
latitude. And the missile profile is incorrect, look at the sunlight
reflecting off the contrail, and note the time was 5pm. This is a missile
heading west, possibly north. Highly unlikely this is anything but a ballistic
trajectory as shown. It's a damned hard profile to orbit unless it's polar
and frankly this object lacks the heft for that.

At least 1 LA TV station news crew filmed a similar contrail today,
and then zoomed in on the airliner laying it down.

/dps
Old November 10th 10, 04:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Today's news reports say it was a jet contrail. If you Google the right
terms, you'll find a boat load of similar pictures.

Jeff
--
42