Are we alone? No

Old September 8th 03, 09:47 PM
Painius

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

Hi Painius I think we do have the "balls" as you put it. If these
aliens arrived,and we saw how ugly they are we would used that for the
reason to kill them. In every 100 million planets one planet is
organic. In every galaxy of 100 billion stars there is a planet that is
intelligent. In the past 13 billion years there have been nine
intelligent civilizations that have lived and died by their own hand.
Bert

That was a mouthful, Bert!

And no, we don't have the balls. If we received a message
from another planet, the decision to respond would have to
be made by the entire world, because the whole world would
be profoundly affected by any possible outcome.

It would never get out of congress, let alone the UN! We'd
dick around with it for years and never respond.

And Bert, you said "If these aliens arrive . . . we would . . .
kill them." You've watched too many movies like "Independence
Day" and "V." Rest assured that anybody who can travel the
distance to reach us would have us if they want us. Resistance?

....'twould be futile. g

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
So watch as we go 'round in circles,
Ending back where we began,

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 8th 03, 11:49 PM
Bill Duncan

Painius wrote:

Okay, you're a SETI worker, and you hear what is almost
unmistakably an intelligent signal from another planet.
What do you do?

What do you do?

We are all so afraid of the unknown that the last thing we
would do is send a message of acknowledgement!

Of course there is the problem that as a SETI worker your
job is to LOOK of intelligent messages. If you actually
found one, you sort of put yourself out of a job!

But to actually acknowledge a message from another
planet?

Humans don't have the balls!

Of course, humans have the balls. The message would be
returned and acknowledged at once. Communication would
begin! But the problem would be that absolutely NONE
of this would be made public! Anyone revealing the
transmissions would be publicly ridiculed or worse.

Where there is lack of ball is in the government officials
who are so afraid that there might be such an advantage
over other governments with this knowledge that they
are scared to death to just dump it out there and let
nature take its course.

bjacoby

The first thing to determine would be the location the signal in our

galaxy or wherever the signal originated.
Second,how far did the signal travel in lightyears.
Third,trying to decipher the signal.
If all of these criteria were met and say the signal took 75 lightyears
to get here and just asked "Is anyone out there?",It would take another
75 years to send a reply.
BTW,we already sent a probe into deep space on Aug 20,1977.It was
called Voyager.Besides its purpose of exploring the solar system it
carried a golden record telling whoever may find it all about us.So
don't worry about the remote possibility of receiving a message from
SETI.If you have to be worried about anything at all worry about a tiny
little spacecraft called Voyager whose only message is one of
peace.Bill.
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/goldenrec.html
Old September 13th 03, 09:23 AM
Painius

wrote...
in message ...

Painius wrote:

Okay, you're a SETI worker, and you hear what is almost
unmistakably an intelligent signal from another planet.
What do you do?

What do you do?

We are all so afraid of the unknown that the last thing we
would do is send a message of acknowledgement!

Of course there is the problem that as a SETI worker your
job is to LOOK of intelligent messages. If you actually
found one, you sort of put yourself out of a job!

I don't see why, bjacoby... as Duncan points out, the job of
a SETI worker does not stop at sensing the signal. There
is a well-planned, well-thought-out procedure to follow once
an intelligent signal is received.

And on top of that, if there's one signal from one area of
space, then there may be more signals from other areas of
space. The search would continue!

But to actually acknowledge a message from another
planet?

Humans don't have the balls!

Of course, humans have the balls. The message would be
returned and acknowledged at once. Communication would
begin! But the problem would be that absolutely NONE
of this would be made public! Anyone revealing the
transmissions would be publicly ridiculed or worse.

Where there is lack of ball is in the government officials
who are so afraid that there might be such an advantage
over other governments with this knowledge that they
are scared to death to just dump it out there and let
nature take its course.

bjacoby
--
SPAM-Guard! Remove .users (if present) to email me!

I'm afraid we must disagree on this one. Humans would be
too afraid of becoming slaves or of being anhilated by aliens
to respond to the signal. And anybody caught trying to return
the signal would be summarily executed!

Why... i'll bet that scientists are right now working on a way to
block any response signals that might be sent out by some
crazy, fanatical ham operator.

....much the same way they are trying to keep crazy, fanatical
people from pushing the nuclear holocaust button!

Ever think about that? There are so many crazy people who
are in positions of power in this world... and yet *S*T*I*L*L*
nobody has wiped us all off the face of the planet. Don't know
about ya'll, but for me this is in itself some pretty damn good
evidence that...

"We Are Not Alone!"

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Gaia shadow come November,
Does this bode well for December?

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 13th 03, 09:28 AM
Painius

"Bill Duncan" wrote in message...
et...

The first thing to determine would be the location the signal in our
galaxy or wherever the signal originated.
Second,how far did the signal travel in lightyears.
Third,trying to decipher the signal.
If all of these criteria were met and say the signal took 75 lightyears
to get here and just asked "Is anyone out there?",It would take another
75 years to send a reply.
BTW,we already sent a probe into deep space on Aug 20,1977.It was
called Voyager.Besides its purpose of exploring the solar system it
carried a golden record telling whoever may find it all about us.So
don't worry about the remote possibility of receiving a message from
SETI.If you have to be worried about anything at all worry about a tiny
little spacecraft called Voyager whose only message is one of
peace.Bill.
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/goldenrec.html

Thanks, Bill... aren't there three other probes as well?
Another Voyager and two other Pioneers?

Yet even with all this, what are the chances of them being
found out there alone in a vast sea of interstellar space?

Like finding four tiny needles in a galaxy-sized haystack,
eh?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
"Oh give me please the Universe keys
That unlock all those mysteries!"

"Oh give me please the Happiness keys
That ease the pain of biting fleas!"
Today you seize you need no keys,
That door is always open.

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 13th 03, 03:35 PM

Painius wrote:
Okay, you're a SETI worker, and you hear what is almost
unmistakably an intelligent signal from another planet.
What do you do?

I don't see why, bjacoby... as Duncan points out, the job of
a SETI worker does not stop at sensing the signal. There
is a well-planned, well-thought-out procedure to follow once
an intelligent signal is received.

Yeah, the well-thought-out precedure, unless I miss my guess,
is to first classify all the info at once! And make all the SETI
workers who know about it renew their secrecy agreements. And then
the bureaucrats get to sit around deciding if they are actually
going to try to answer or not. My guess (knowing bureaucrats)
is they won't answer (publically) unless they already know in
advance who they are talking to etc.

And on top of that, if there's one signal from one area of
space, then there may be more signals from other areas of
space. The search would continue!

Oh sure, the search continues. The rule in government is all
information goes in, only that you want to release comes out.

I'm afraid we must disagree on this one. Humans would be
too afraid of becoming slaves or of being anhilated by aliens
to respond to the signal. And anybody caught trying to return
the signal would be summarily executed!

I doubt that. Goverment types would be drooling over the possiblity
of learning how to build "phasers" and god knows what from
aliens and would clearly answer if they thought they had anything
to gain. However, anyone revealing that they did so would be summarily
executed (in the name of national security, of course)

My personal view is that SETI (like so many other government
projects) is at it's core a massive fraud. Basically it's founded
on a totally erroneous view of extraterrestrial life. It's assumed
that life out there is exactly like us. (Always that human ego, no?)
So SETI is basically designed to communicate with other "earth" level
civilizations who are as planet-bound as we are. But the advanced
aliens are doubtless already sitting up there in their flyin' saucers
watching the latest episodes of "Law and Order".

A communication 75 light years away not only takes 75 years for the
message but 75 years for the answer and then another 75 years for
the reply to that answer! The trip to that alien scout ship is
a lot closer. Of course they probably don't have time to play these
schoolkid "I can hear you, can you hear me?" games. And anyway with
a bunch of nutso humans with nukes running around down on the planet
They are probably FAR more scared of US than we'd be of them!
My guess is they get hazardous duty pay for having to deal with us!

bjacoby

--
SPAM-Guard! Remove .users (if present) to email me!

Old September 20th 03, 10:19 AM
Painius

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

Hi Painius Well I was only using the wheel in regards to life forms.
Man invented the wheel. I'm sure slicing a tree trunk gave him his
first wheel. That is interesting about square tree trunks. Might throw
this in. The wheel barrel was invented in 1030 AD,and was the first
labor saver, One man could do the work of two. Bert
PS Is there any reason given for square tree trunks????

Oops! sorry, Bert, missed this one...

It's really an interesting puzzle about the trees. A cross-
section of the trunk would be a square with rounded
corners. At the base of the tree the "corners" slowly
curve outward into a root system. So the trees each
have four root systems to gather water and the needed
nutrients from the surrounding soil.

When you're used to seeing round tree trunks, these
Panamanian trees with square trunks are quite a sight!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
A Universe of Beauty