More details on the Indian recoverable satellite plan

Old August 23rd 05, 02:01 PM
Jim Oberg

Default More details on the Indian recoverable satellite plan

More details on the Indian recoverable satellite plan.

Does the recoverable module have the size to carry a pilot, I wonder?

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_f...ntent_id=99916

Isro all set to join satellite rescue club

HUMA SIDDIQUI
Posted online: Monday, August 22, 2005 at 0000 hours IST

India will join a select club of countries when it launches its first
recoverable satellite in early 2006. As the world watched with bated breath
the re-entry of space shuttle Discovery into the earth's atmosphere over
California, back home in India, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is
working on a major project to demonstrate the capability to recover an
orbiting space capsule.

Attached Images
File Type: gif trans.gif (43 Bytes, 79 views)
Old August 23rd 05, 03:25 PM

Well 600 kg I guess it s more like the Chinese capsules for retrieval
of photographic samples I guess.

Is it a purely ballistic capsule or as it got a GNC and thrusters,
allowing guided entry and cross range ?

Old August 23rd 05, 03:26 PM

The article is forgetting Japan among the countries having reentry
technology (OREX, USERS, etc)

Old August 23rd 05, 08:35 PM
Jim Oberg

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
. uk...
what is with the attachment?

I have no clue -- maybe I ought to run some defensive software.

Old August 23rd 05, 10:21 PM
hop

Jim Oberg wrote:
More details on the Indian recoverable satellite plan.

Does the recoverable module have the size to carry a pilot, I wonder?

At 600 kg, this seems like it would be pretty tight. Vostok 1 mass was
2,460 kg http://www.astronautix.com/craft/vosok3ka.htm, but did scale
up to 3 people at only 2,900 kg.

Now given that this capsule is one of two 600kg payloads on the same
flight, it seems pretty clear that India could pull of a 1 man capsule
pretty quickly if they really wanted to, and weren't to concerned about
safety or comfort.

Old August 23rd 05, 10:23 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:35:38 -0500, Jim Oberg wrote
(in article ):

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
. uk...
what is with the attachment?

I have no clue -- maybe I ought to run some defensive software.

Maybe, Jim - I see my ISP didn't get your original post. Maybe it was
filtered because of an attachment?

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."

Old August 24th 05, 12:12 AM
Justa Lurker

hop wrote:

Now given that this capsule is one of two 600kg payloads on the same
flight, it seems pretty clear that India could pull of a 1 man capsule
pretty quickly if they really wanted to, and weren't to concerned about
safety or comfort.

Obviously you've never flown on Air India :-)
Old August 24th 05, 04:00 AM
Jim Oberg

"nmp" wrote in message
news
Op Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:35:38 +0000, schreef Jim Oberg:

Danke!

Old August 24th 05, 09:08 AM
No One Really

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

"nmp" wrote in message
news
Op Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:35:38 +0000, schreef Jim Oberg:

Danke!

It's 'Bedankt!' Jim. He's not German but Dutch. There is a difference, you
know

NOT your Father's Satellite -- Reasons [6] Painius Misc 0 June 8th 05 10:54 AM
Russian 'Kobalt' Spy Satellite Disappears Jim Oberg History 2 January 22nd 05 09:52 AM
Maybe you sci.astro.amateur and sci.astro readers can explain this pearl Amateur Astronomy 4 July 1st 04 01:49 AM
Satellite Tracking Pete UK Astronomy 0 June 21st 04 09:11 PM
Successful Launch for Boeing-Built Galaxy XIII/Horizons-1 Satellite Gene Nygaard Policy 0 October 6th 03 05:24 PM