color filter for star gazing?

Old October 3rd 03, 02:05 AM
Carl

Default color filter for star gazing?

Hi, I have been doing star gazing with my naked eyes. However, I have
been bothered by the street lights. Then I thought if I have some sort
of a color filter(that blocks the orange light from the street lamp),
that would really help me see more stars on the sky. I called some
science store in my area, and their responce was that those filters such
as "nebula filters" are very expensive. What I am looking for is an
alternative to those expensive filters. I was actually looking for a
"color filter sheet" like something that we use in a junior highschool labs.
Could anybody give me any suggestion on this? I live in downtown, and
finding a dark night sky is impossible in my area.
Thank you very much, and have a good day.

Old October 3rd 03, 05:31 AM
onegod

Orange is yellow with red... or Basically heavy red with green. So
basically you left with blue which is worst viewing for human eye.

Alternative is perhaps you can make yourself binocular with none shiny black
pieces of paper... Kind of like telescope without lense perhaps extra flat
piece to block closest light.

Old October 3rd 03, 06:11 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message lX3fb.5855$%P2.854@edtnps84, Carl
writes
Hi, I have been doing star gazing with my naked eyes. However, I have
been bothered by the street lights. Then I thought if I have some sort
of a color filter(that blocks the orange light from the street lamp),
that would really help me see more stars on the sky. I called some
science store in my area, and their responce was that those filters
such as "nebula filters" are very expensive. What I am looking for is
an alternative to those expensive filters. I was actually looking for a
"color filter sheet" like something that we use in a junior highschool labs.
Could anybody give me any suggestion on this? I live in downtown, and
finding a dark night sky is impossible in my area.
Thank you very much, and have a good day.

You can buy didymium filters and spectacles, which are used by
glass-blowers to protect their eyes from the sodium glare emitted by hot
glass as well as by sodium lights, but I'm not sure how effective they
are at allowing you to see the stars. They may even be more expensive
than nebula filters.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"

Old October 4th 03, 03:29 AM
Carl

Hi, thank you for the reply. I tried to find a didymium filter at the
local glass store, however they did not even know what didymium was.
Could you tell me where I can find a didymium filter?
Thank you, and have a good day.