Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

Old April 2nd 06, 04:37 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Default Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

Rand Simberg wrote:

Your ignorance and bigotry are showing.

What is the fastest thing on four wheels? A white man rollerblading
through Central Park after dark.

Bob Kolker

Old April 2nd 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Johnboy wrote:

Most of them made by women, actually.

Ah, and the intriguing story of Miss Schilling's Orifice and its
diaphragm! :-D

Pat
Old April 2nd 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message
Johnboy wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that Carthage was a city,
not a religion.

It was a city, a nation, a culture. It was totally destroyed. Cartheginian
culture perished. The Romans killed about a half million Cartheginians
after the 3rd Punic War.

If so, I imagine the correct analogy you are looking for would be the
way in which the Romans wiped out Christianity in the years after the
death of Christ... er, um, no, on second thought maybe you don't want to
go there.......

Bull****. Rome -embraced- Christianity.

"in the years after the death of Christ". What part of that don't you
understand?

In the years after the death of Christ the Romans attempted to wipe out this
little upstart religion. To use your favorite phrase, they attempted to
eradicate the "Christian meme", and failed rather dismally. Which leads us
to......

Have you ever heard of Constantine? They don't call the western church
Roman Catholic for nothing.

That's rather the point I was making. Even the most powerful, hegemonistic
nation the world has ever seen failed to take out this tiny little religion,
despite some rather gruesome efforts, and it ended up taking over the
Empire. Food for thought, I think.

In hoc signe vinces.

I believe you will find that the correct statement is "In hoc signo vinces".
Fond of Pall Mall cigarettes, are you?

Cheers,
Johnboy

Bob Kolker

Old April 2nd 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 01:03:01 +1000, in a place far, far away, "Johnboy"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

I'm a peaceable person with a fine tertiary education who lives in a very
beautiful, sophisticated city of 4 million, in a pleasant, law-abiding
country where the only people who use guns to fight crime are members of
the
police force.

I'd take it over any place in the USA were yokel's run around armed to the
teeth, because I know were my family would be safer.

Your ignorance and bigotry are showing.

Rand, I don't think you should start lecturing me on ignorance and bigotry.
Your posts seem to indicate that your world-view is beamed directly into
your brain by the good folk on Fox Cable News.

Cheers,
Johnboy

Old April 2nd 06, 06:08 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 10:53:22 -0400, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Bibles are available all over the world. I do not see people converting
to Christianit or Judaism in droves.

Take a look at Asia, especially China. The Judeo-Christian ethic is
very appealing to oppressed people.

--

"A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
It keeps him upright."
Old April 2nd 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:47:17 -0400, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

That is why I am talking about killing 1.2 billion Moslems. What is it
about the word "thorough" that eludes you?

What is it about the word "effective" that eludes you?

You sound just like the mice who figured out that they could solve
their problems by putting a bell on the cat.

Old April 2nd 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:48:34 -0400, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Bob wrote:

I never thought of it that way - if you don't like the treaties a
particular country has made, just obliterate it and no more treaties.

Good thinking.

There can never be a lasting treaty between hostiles because one of
them is always going to be stronger.

Chamberlain was ****ing up the wrong tree to imagine he could effect a
non-aggression treaty with Hitler. In fact the term "non-aggression
treaty" is an oxymoron.

Old April 2nd 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:49:23 -0400, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Anti-Christian bigotry noted.

****ing A, man!

Religion has nothing to do with my reading escatology. I am interested
in what others might believe and therefore engage in self-fulfilling
actions.

We'll talk about this after the Temple is rebuilt. Rumor has it that
the red heifer was found, the arc was found (in Ethiopia) and
everything from tableware and vestments have already been made. It's
just a matter of acquiring the spot where the Temple was destroyed,
which is currently occupied by the Muslim Dome of the Rock. Once that
is destroyed, the Temple will be rebuilt in a couple of heartbeats.

Now why would anyone go to all that trouble unless they were trying to
fulfill prophesy?

Old April 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 01:03:01 +1000, "Johnboy"
wrote:

I'm a peaceable person with a fine tertiary education who lives in a very
beautiful, sophisticated city of 4 million, in a pleasant, law-abiding
country where the only people who use guns to fight crime are members of the
police force.

You don't have any violent crime? That's incredible.

I'd take it over any place in the USA were yokel's run around armed to the
teeth,

Hysterical hyperbole.

because I know were my family would be safer.

You are a hoplophobe.