Well, I finally went to outlook express...

Old December 12th 04, 06:10 AM
Rob

You must read a lot of newsgroups to need a stand alone reader
with full killfile capability - most readers even in browsers have some
killfile capacity, and no filter can work 100% of the time.

Others like bells and whistles as a first priority. Others like the
sense
of control. Others, the illusion of control. Many people witha lower
sensitivity just scroll past the good to get to the bad and find it
easy.

Rob

wrote:

to read this group, just so I can have a killfile to eliminate
that crossposting moron Min. The lousy new google beta
pushed me over the edge.

Old December 12th 04, 06:16 AM
Florian

No, just killfile assh*les. Of course, when people
insist on replying to them, you still get the thread...

I don't killfile anyone. It's really pretty easy to just skip
the meaningless threads.

-Florian

Old December 12th 04, 09:35 PM
starlord

Between the 15 or so newsgroups I'm on and the 30+ e-lists I'm on, with the
300+ e-mails a day I get, I don't want to be jumping from one program to
another, so 95% is done on outlook express and the other 5% is done using
Increadimail.

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

"Len Philpot" wrote in message
In article , says...
You must read a lot of newsgroups to need a stand alone reader
with full killfile capability - most readers even in browsers have some
killfile capacity, and no filter can work 100% of the time.

Others like bells and whistles as a first priority. Others like the
sense
of control. Others, the illusion of control. Many people witha lower
sensitivity just scroll past the good to get to the bad and find it
easy.

Actually, I used (Gravity|Free Agent|Pan|tin) depending on what
platform I'm on simply because IMO they're far superior to any web-
based interface. For instance, on programming / technical newsgroups,
using tin on Linux enables me to have the full power of vim available
for message editing, including syntax highlighting, auto indent and
any of the other 1500 or so functions it offers. g Same is true to
lesser extents for other newsreaders. /Any/ of them beat the pants
off a webpage interface. Right now, I'm in Gravity on XP.

--

-- Len Philpot -
--

---

Old December 13th 04, 12:07 AM
Jan Owen

I'll drink to that!

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old December 13th 04, 12:38 AM
Tim Auton

"starlord" wrote:

Between the 15 or so newsgroups I'm on and the 30+ e-lists I'm on, with the
300+ e-mails a day I get, I don't want to be jumping from one program to
another, so 95% is done on outlook express and the other 5% is done using
Increadimail.

Wouldn't it be great if there was another program which did email and
news. Oh, hang on...

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old December 13th 04, 07:14 AM
starlord

Never heard of it, if I had my Atari TT030 online, then I could use NEWSie
on it for both of them, but I've not gotten it online now. The last time I
tried another program, it was suppost to be easy and usfull, but I could
never get it to work right. I followed the instu's and it just would not
work. So after a full week of reading and rereading everything and it not
working I dumped it and went back to outlook. With the combo of filters
(killfile ), message rules and changing some of this machines settings for
operating it, it's been a lot safter and easyer to run.

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm
SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Car Fund Page Update
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"Len Philpot" wrote in message
pSexWithoutTheY says...

Oops! Was I supposed to have mentioned EMACS as well? :-)

--

-- Len Philpot -
--

---

Old December 13th 04, 04:26 PM
Tim Auton

Len Philpot wrote:
In article ,
says...
"starlord" wrote:

Between the 15 or so newsgroups I'm on and the 30+ e-lists I'm on, with the
300+ e-mails a day I get, I don't want to be jumping from one program to
another, so 95% is done on outlook express and the other 5% is done using
Increadimail.

Wouldn't it be great if there was another program which did email and
news. Oh, hang on...

Oops! Was I supposed to have mentioned EMACS as well? :-)

I said program, not operating system ;-)

Tim
--
This is not my signature.