Actual time lapse vs distorted time lapse

Old April 18th 18, 08:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Actual time lapse vs distorted time lapse

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:39:03 PM UTC+1, Anders Eklöf wrote:
Gerald Kelleher wrote:

The Scandinavian people are a humane people and blessed with common sense
so it can't be easy for you to ignore the imaging in front of you but that
is not really my business. I don't bill anyone by the hour as the
information is invaluable and belongs to everyone.

If you think I'm gonna accept your patronising tone cause I'm
Scandinavian, you're totally wrong.

Another conclution I've come to is to stop feeding the trolls.
Should have done that long ago. Byebye!

Patronizing, no, I don't do patronizing or pretense and have a great admiration for that fair Scandinavian culture which most of the rest of the world could do with. I did work within the Arctic circle so know all too well how the polar day/night cycle that far North wrecks havoc with the cicadian clock.

If you work at this long enough there comes a time when you love the eternal innocence in nature and watch that part of nature which responds to the orbital motion and position spring into life as the returns of buds, flowers, birds to color the landscape once more.
Old April 26th 18, 05:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Gerald Kelleher wrote:

It is well over a decade since I used the analogy of walking/orbiting a
central object/Sun to demonstrate as an analogy how all parts of your
body face the central object (chair,table, ect) as you complete that
orbit. This not only represents the cause of the polar day/night cycle in
isolation but also when combined with daily rotations creates the seasons
and the variations in the natural noon cycle.

If you had any powers of visualisation you wouldn’t write such rubbish. If
I walk anti - clockwise in a circle around an object (starting from the
east) my left side is facing the object at all times. All parts of my body
will not face the object. Of course as I walk around the object I will face
north then west then south then east and after I reach 360 degrees north
again. So I will have rotated 360 degrees as I walked around. If I faced
North all the time I would have had to shuffle with a awkward gait going
sideways forwards and backwards in an uneasy combination.
That’s why the moon needs to rotate to keep one face visible from Earth.
Try this with a convenient tree.

Old April 27th 18, 07:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 5:38:50 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
Gerald Kelleher wrote:

[...]

I see a big to-do in the other thread about atheist or agnostic but you can throw in secularist,humanist and a whole bunch of other different variations to describe mediocrity as opposed to be spiritual/inspirational. It the inability to be inspired by nature itself that prevents you from enjoying something so simple as the moon's orbital motion and its phases, the normal day/night cycle and its rotational cause, the partitioning of direct/retrogrades by faster or slower moving planets seen from a moving Earth and the cause of the Polar day/night cycle.

https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

The last bit of light from the Sun is now almost gone as the South Pole continues to turn away from the Sun (turn parallel to the orbital plane) with only the reflected light of the moon to periodically to light up the Polar darkness. I haven't been to the South Pole but I have been inside the Arctic circle where I experienced that day/night cycle and how it throws hits the body's cicadian rhythm or sixes.

The Polar day/night cycle and the rotation behind it brings back observers to the stationary (at least for solar system purposes) and central Sun as the reference used where the North and South poles where daily rotation is zero acts as a fixed referenced point for the orbital rotation as a function of the orbital motion of the Earth. All planets have these dual rotations with Uranus being the most enjoyable ( 50 seconds in when the time lapse speeds up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612gSZsplpE

Saying there is no God is like saying you can't be inspired or inspiring so while the declaration may sound self-important, it is funny for those who are spiritual.

Old April 27th 18, 07:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Gerald Kelleher wrote:

[...]

I see a big to-do in the other thread about atheist or agnostic but you can throw in secularist,humanist and a whole bunch of other different variations to describe mediocrity as opposed to be spiritual/inspirational. It is the inability to be inspired by nature itself that prevents you from enjoying something so simple as the moon's orbital motion and its phases, the normal day/night cycle and its rotational cause, the partitioning of direct/retrogrades by faster or slower moving planets seen from a moving Earth, the cause of the Polar day/night cycle and so many other things.

https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

The last bit of light from the Sun is now almost gone as the South Pole continues to turn away from the Sun (turn parallel to the orbital plane) with only the reflected light of the moon to periodically to light up the Polar darkness. I haven't been to the South Pole but I have been inside the Arctic circle where I experienced that day/night cycle and how it hits the body's cicadian rhythm for sixes.

The Polar day/night cycle and the rotation behind it brings back observers to the stationary (at least for solar system purposes) and central Sun as the reference used where the North and South poles where daily rotation is zero acts as a fixed referenced point for the orbital rotation as a function of the orbital motion of the Earth. All planets have these dual surface rotations with Uranus being the most enjoyable ( 50 seconds in when the time lapse speeds up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612gSZsplpE

Saying there is no God is like saying you can't be inspired or inspiring so while the declaration may sound self-important, it is funny for those who are spiritual. None of you seem connected to the planet that makes life possible but only make a kind of individual scream at each other.

Old April 27th 18, 07:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 27 April 2018 08:29:06 UTC+2, 1573½ wrote:

Saying there is no God is like saying you can't be inspired or inspiring so while the declaration may sound self-important, it is funny for those who are spiritual. None of you seem connected to the planet that makes life possible but only make a kind of individual scream at each other.

That creosote has a lot to answer for!
The only screamer here is the raving crackpot on his soap box.
No names. No pack drill.
Have you tried the latest pressure treated lumber?
Untreated Larch is also quite resistant to long term [Tommy] rot.
If every spiritual person demanded their own cross to bear..
there'd be no bloody wood left!
Old April 27th 18, 05:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Oh, he agrees with you that the moon faces different stars as it orbits
the Earth. The disagreement on his part is about the definition of the word "rotate".
Old April 27th 18, 06:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Quadibloc wrote...

Oh, he agrees with you that the moon faces different stars as it orbits
the Earth. The disagreement on his part is about the definition of the word "rotate".

*********************

Gerald does not understand that if someone were to be living on the 'back' side of the moon he would not even be aware of the Earth's existence, but he would nevertheless see the Sun and stars rise and set... and using the exact same logic as Earthbound scientists, would eventually determine that he was orbiting the Sun every year and rotated on his own axis every month or so...
Old April 27th 18, 06:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:20:03 AM UTC-6, palsing wrote:

Gerald does not understand that if someone were to be living on the 'back' side
of the moon he would not even be aware of the Earth's existence, but he would
nevertheless see the Sun and stars rise and set... and using the exact same
logic as Earthbound scientists, would eventually determine that he was orbiting
the Sun every year and rotated on his own axis every month or so...

Now that's an interesting way to look at it.

John Savard

Old April 27th 18, 06:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 27 April 2018 19:25:20 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:20:03 AM UTC-6, palsing wrote:

Gerald does not understand that if someone were to be living on the 'back' side
of the moon he would not even be aware of the Earth's existence, but he would
nevertheless see the Sun and stars rise and set... and using the exact same
logic as Earthbound scientists, would eventually determine that he was orbiting
the Sun every year and rotated on his own axis every month or so...

Now that's an interesting way to look at it.

John Savard

Imagine the confusion of a race eking out an existence on the far side of the moon.
They develop a culture based entirely around their total isolation.
Then, after millions of years a naughty teenage adventurer defies all the rules.
She deliberately walks to the Edge of the Moon, and beyond.
Only to find a beautiful, bigger blue sister world has been there all the time.
What does the explorer say to her religious leaders on her return?
That their benign, all seeing god had cheated them out of all the benefits.
And given everything to the unbelievably gorgeous, sister planet Earth?
Old April 28th 18, 09:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 6:20:03 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:

Gerald does not understand that if someone were to be living on the 'back' side of the moon he would not even be aware of the Earth's existence, but he would nevertheless see the Sun and stars rise and set... and using the exact same logic as Earthbound scientists, would eventually determine that he was orbiting the Sun every year and rotated on his own axis every month or so...

The Earth turns in two distinct ways which is why an observer at the South Pole sees the Sun rise and set once each year on the Equinoxes whereas all other times the Sun is either in view or out of view.
An observer on the far side of the moon doesn't see the Earth rise, remain in view for half its orbit,set and then remain out of sight for the other half of its monthly orbit.

The surface rotation as a function of the Earth's orbital motion is uneven (the variable component of the Equation of Time) in response to variable orbital speed while this surface rotation turns parallel to the orbital plane and at right angles to the circle of illumination.

Of course in this era of total celestial sphere anarchy, a website sponsored by the space agency has a pivoting circle of illumination but anarchy can't be reasoned with -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170319.html