Follow the methane

Old November 4th 16, 08:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Robert Clark[_5_]

Default Follow the methane

NASA is following the water. ESA proposes to follow the methane.

Humans are still years away from realizing that life is on Mars since
ages...

NASA doesn't follow any leads that marsian life is giving, for unknown
reasons. The rovers that NASA has on the surface could in principle go back
to analyze the signs of life that were already discovered but NASA will not
do it because of ... unknown reasons.

A crucial discovery was done by Mrs Nora Noffke, that identified similar
microbial mats in the surface of Mars as she knows from fossils here on
earth. Incredible but true, NASA hasn't even cared to answer that paper
(published in a peer reviewed journal), so this is one more lost occasion
for NASA to discover life on Mars.

ESA will map the methane sites, since that is BIG hint to something
breathing under the surface. ExoMars 2020 (if it lands OK) will search for
samples at 2 meters below the surface.

Nasa has no plans visible to try to find fossils, and only geologists drive
the mission.

Nothing against gelogy of course, it is a wonderful science and the credit
for the analysis of the different formations in the marsian soil will go to
NASA.

But I think that the ESA direction could have the right frame of mind
regarding life in Mars. To find something you have to believe that it
exists. If you think otherwise, you will never find anything even if it
pops right in front of your eyes.

The positive signal from Viking had a circadian rhythm, pure magnetite that
is produced by micro-organisms was found in marsian metheorites, fossils
have been photographed by NASA with Spirit and Opportunbity but... they
were only photographed and no investigation of their composition was ever
made.

NASA produces (what biology goes) a frustrating series of hints and more
hints that are never seriously followed. It is a pity to wait till Exomars
arrives to have a definitive confirmation of all the hints we are
receiving.

Credits will then go to Mrs Nora Noffke, that was the first human to
discover life in Mars using NASA photographs.

Or will the credits go to the engineer of NASA in the seventies that took
spectra of the strange formations in the surface of the rock right next to
Viking and concluded that it was the same spectra that lichens?

I hope that ESA succeeds and we have at last a confirmation that life in
Mars is the same as life on earth since they produce the same fossils.

Of course life NOW has surely evolved since those microbes that needed
water to exist in the surface. Life underground could be thriving, it will
be a fascinating discovery.

---

Might be possible to do both from orbit: look for both high concentrations
of methane and water vapor at the same time from orbit.

Bob Clark

Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize
21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital
launchers, to 'flying cars'.
This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...ce/x/13319568/

Old November 7th 16, 11:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Le 04/11/2016 Ã* 20:11, Robert Clark a écrit :
Might be possible to do both from orbit: look for both high
concentrations of methane and water vapor at the same time from orbit.

Yeah it would be possible but the best human chances of finding life is
at the ground.

Making the rovers seek methane (that curiosity can detect) and *come
back* to the places where methane was detected is an imperative.

Plan the next moves of the rover for following the methane instead of
wasting this chance of finding life.

It is a pity that the americans in this group do not try to tell NASA to
reprogram the rovers to find life NOW instead of waiting for the next rover.

I tried to tell NASA, and I wrote to one astronaut of the ISS. I wrote
in his blog but got no answer. I am not even american.

It is a pity that a civilization that sends machines to Mars is not able
to pilot them correctly once they are there. Or maybe it is a sign of
the state of that civilization, I do not really know.

Europeans are way behgind the americans what technology goes. And the
rest of the world is even farther behind than those. India send a
machine, maybe others will follow but there is nothing in human
technology that rovers in mars that could make competition to this robot.

Curiosity.

That is what is missing from the plans of NASA.

Curiosity.

Look for life now!

It doesn't cost a penny more. All the money has been spent, the machine
is roving around in Mars. Look for life then!

Follow the methane!

Come back to look at the fossil microbial mats that were discovered from
the photos of that rover by a microbiologist here on earth.

If this fossils are really rests of microbial mats it means that life in
mars is the same as life on earth in fact. That would be a tremendous
discovery.

How can you just rove on? Going besides this incredible discovery!

Just following... following what actually? What is NASA looking for in Mars?

This program makes no sense. I just do not follow.

What is NASA looking for in Mars?