Eyepiece viewing field, question from a rookie

Old July 11th 03, 05:57 PM
Hans Johansson \(SM0IMJ\)

Default Eyepiece viewing field, question from a rookie

Hi,
I'm trying to calculate the field of view in minutes of arc for my
telescope(reflector)/eyepiece combinations.

I have this formula (from the Sky Charts manual);
Magnification = telescope focal length / eyepiece focal length
Viewing field (in degrees) = eyepiece apperent filed of view / Magnification
Viewing field (in minutes) = Viewing field (in degrees) * 60

This gives me a viewing field of 12 minutes with my 1000mm focal length
telescope and my 6.5 mm/30degree apperent view eyepiece, could that be
correct?

If I add my Barlow lens (2*) will that give a viewing field of 6 minutes
with the above combination?

cheers,
Hans

Old July 11th 03, 06:49 PM
Bettrel

This gives me a viewing field of 12 minutes with my 1000mm focal length
telescope and my 6.5 mm/30degree apperent view eyepiece, could that be
correct?

Yes, that's correct

If I add my Barlow lens (2*) will that give a viewing field of 6 minutes
with the above combination?

Correct again.