Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

Old December 16th 03, 03:09 AM
Hugh McGuinness

Default Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

Mary Shafer wrote:

Are you under the misapprehension that gay people _choose_ to be gay?
If so, you're flat-ass wrong. They don't choose to be homosexual any
more than you chose to be heterosexual.

Mary

I think he's got a slightly circular argument:

1. the current definition of 'marriage' is between 2 humans of different
sexes
2. irregardless of sexual leaning, if your 'mission' is to get married
then it has to be to somebody of the opposite sex
3. thus being gay and wanting to marry your partner is an unobtainable
goal under the current rules.

I didn't get the impression he thought gayness was chosen.

IMHO :-)

--
Hugh - to reply, don't c me
Old December 16th 03, 06:50 AM
Derek Lyons

Andrew Gray wrote:

In article , Derek Lyons wrote:
Mary Shafer wrote:

Are you under the misapprehension that gay people _choose_ to be gay?
If so, you're flat-ass wrong. They don't choose to be homosexual any
more than you chose to be heterosexual.

IIRC there's also evidence that sexual preference is a continuum, not
simply a two position switch.

I like the "breaking news" tone there, Derek ;-)

g Wasn't meant to be that way, even though it *is* such to many
folks used to as they are to slots and piegonholes.

[BTW, did you ever find a USian supplier for the republished Domesday?]

Haven't looked. Meant to email you and let you know I'm holding off
until after the holidays to make a decision.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old December 16th 03, 08:24 AM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

Are you under the misapprehension that gay people _choose_ to be gay?
If so, you're flat-ass wrong. They don't choose to be homosexual any
more than you chose to be heterosexual.

IIRC there's also evidence that sexual preference is a continuum, not
simply a two position switch.

I like the "breaking news" tone there, Derek ;-)

You know...if the particular line of development of this thread keeps
going the way it has, then the lurkers have every right to suspect that
the regular posters to this group have a little something funny....and
less than self-assured...between their ears when it comes to the S-E-X
thing. :-)

Pat

Old December 16th 03, 10:24 AM
Paul Blay

"Pat Flannery" wrote ...

You know...if the particular line of development of this thread keeps
going the way it has, then the lurkers have every right to suspect that
the regular posters to this group have a little something funny....and
less than self-assured...between their ears when it comes to the S-E-X
thing. :-)

I have to wonder who's the least self-certain. Those who view
homosexuality as a nature (albeit one with a graduated scale) or those
who insist it's a choice.

Right now I'm visualising Scott standing in front of a mirror in the
morning chanting "I _choose_ to not be homosexual, I _choose_ to
not be homosexual, ..." before struggling through another day.
Old December 16th 03, 02:39 PM
Pat Flannery

Paul Blay wrote:

I have to wonder who's the least self-certain. Those who view
homosexuality as a nature (albeit one with a graduated scale) or those
who insist it's a choice.

Right now I'm visualising Scott standing in front of a mirror in the
morning chanting "I _choose_ to not be homosexual, I _choose_ to
not be homosexual, ..." before struggling through another day.

For the ever-lovin last time man!
Some of us are leg men; some of us are ass men; some of us are tit men;
Me- I'm an eye man-there is nothing that hits me as more enthralling
about a woman than the down-right magnificent way that a...woman's eyes
look- you might get suddenly aroused by some particular aspect of her
body; but I can guarantee that it's when you are looking into her eyes
that you are going to fall head-over-heels in love with her;
particularly when she's in your arms while you are doing it.
I'm straight; And I think it is downright foolish for anyone who is
straight to sit around and judge, or attempt to imply, what gays (male
or female) might feel about each other .. but I would hope it's
something about as downright wonderful as when I first see a girl with
eyes to die for...
That will make your dreams for a whole year.

Pat

Old December 16th 03, 02:59 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Pat Flannery wrote:

And I think it is downright foolish for anyone who is
straight to sit around and judge, or attempt to imply, what gays (male
or female) might feel about each other .. but I would hope it's
something about as downright wonderful as when I first see a girl with
eyes to die for...
That will make your dreams for a whole year.

That may be the most sincere, off-topic thing I've ever seen from Pat's
keyboard.

Bravo, man.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old December 16th 03, 05:34 PM
LooseChanj

On or about Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:39:27 -0600, Pat Flannery
made the sensational claim that:
Some of us are leg men; some of us are ass men; some of us are tit men;
Me- I'm an eye man-

I think I'm an assman. At least that's what everyone keeps telling me..."Hey,
you're ASS MAN!"
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you

Old December 16th 03, 08:39 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:09:14 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message
I only know one person who told me "I want to get married in the next

few
years" who didn't say it in context with who he wanted to get married

to.
know upwards of thirty people who have told me "I want to get married

X",
where X was their current S.O.

That's nice, and I don't dispute that. However, if your mission is to

*get
married*, choosing someone you cannot marry as a partner is contrary to

the
mission, and is therefore a poor choice.

Are you under the misapprehension that gay people _choose_ to be gay?

No, I'm saying that *if your purpose in life* is to *****get married*****,
then choosing as a partner someone you cannot marry is a *bad choice*, in
the same league as putting diesel fuel in a gasoline driven car. "Love" and
"attraction" are not part of what I said and are not necessary to get
married (though they certainly help if you want to *stay* married). My
statement has nothing whatsoever to do with sexual orientation.

They don't choose to be homosexual any
more than you chose to be heterosexual.

*Expressing* sexuality, on the other hand, *is* a matter of choice. It's
also irrelevant to what I said.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 16th 03, 08:41 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Some of us are leg men; some of us are ass men; some of us are tit men;
Me- I'm an eye man

I'm a Mountain Dew-easy chair-Star Trek rerun man

Old December 16th 03, 08:47 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hugh McGuinness" wrote in message
I think he's got a slightly circular argument:

You've got it, at least under the current rules.

I don't particularly care for the idea, but it bothers me a whole lot less
than a great many other things. For example, I think it's wrong for someone
who rejected a family member years ago because that family member was gay
and has refused to have anything to do with the rejected party to have a
greater say in medical issues when that same rejected family member is in a
coma than the long-term same-sex partner. I have friends who know me far
better than my own brother does, yet he would out-vote them if I were unable
to take care of my own affairs. The legal definition of "family" is pretty
narrow and is far too dependent on biology.