Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

Old December 10th 03, 06:36 AM
Scott Hedrick

Default Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

"Herb Schaltegger" lid
wrote in message ...
gay folks should learn to
screw straight people and learn to like it?

Usani! His sails unfurled!
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 10th 03, 07:21 AM
Andre Lieven

"Scott Hedrick" ) writes:
"Andre Lieven" wrote in message
On gay marriage, I'm against it. For this reason. When you decide
to change one qualification of what consistutes a legal marriage
( I'm completely tabling religious marriage, thats not related to
the legal rights and obligations issues ), what mix of sexes is
required, on what consistant basis is one left with, to deny
other qualification changes, to groups who may want them.

Like, age limits, and numbers of spouses legally recognised,
to name but two.

Or species- one you start, then eventually someone is going to want
to marry their dog.

Indeed.

Now, another thing I don't like is *automatic* common law
marriage, where due to no specific actions to legalise a
relationship, a couple ends up in the legal territory of
being married, even though they never bought a license, etc..

This is pretty much gone. In Florida, for example, a common law
marriage must have been initiated prior to 1968 to be valid.

True, but there are jurisdictions where it does kick in automatically.
For that matter, such things are also used to make men who didn't
have their own kids with a wife, but who care care and support to her
kids, pay CS for those kids, after the marriage ends.

My view of this issue, is but a part of my view of the whole area
of marital laws. So, I figured that I should give some of that
context.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old December 10th 03, 09:54 AM
Paul Blay

"Mary Shafer" wrote ...
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:55:00 -0000, "Paul Blay"
wrote:

Should siblings where one partner has voluntarily been sterilised
be able to marry? I'd be very hesitant to say "yes"
but the only reason I've got for saying "no" is my strong suspicion
that such relationships are mostly likely damaging psychologically
to the parties involved.

In California, first cousins are allowed to marry if the woman is over
some age, I think fifty. I know such a couple. No concern in the law
about psychological factors (but cousins aren't sibs).

As you say, in the part I snipped, it's reproduction.

Concerning which, 'first cousins' probably isn't such a good idea.
(At least according to recent studies on health vs degrees of relatedness).
Even second, third may have statistically significant drawbacks.
Old December 10th 03, 09:58 AM
Paul Blay

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote ...
Andre Lieven wrote:

That their chosen failure to qualify, doesn't leave them with a " right "
that they chose to not qualify for. Period.

Again, you imply that sexual preferenec and orientation are a choice. There
are few psychological or psychiatric experts who would agree with that.

Or biologists.

(Try http://www.google.com/search?q=%22tw...+homosexuality
sometime ;-)
Old December 10th 03, 03:10 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger" lid
wrote in message ...

gay folks should learn to
screw straight people and learn to like it?

Usani! His sails unfurled!

"Fire Island, where the pants fell down!"

Old December 10th 03, 03:36 PM
Paul Blay

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote ...
What the heck are you trying to say, Andre? That gay folks should learn to
screw straight people and learn to like it?

That's no problem. Bit hard on the straight people though don't you think?
Old December 10th 03, 03:53 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Andre Lieven wrote:

(snipped lots of stuff, some relevent, some not)

Have some kids then we'll talk further if necessary. It would help if you
ALSO go through a divorce resulting in single-parenthood (even if just
temporarily). Ideally you'd do all the above in addition to some serious,
graduate-level study of U.S. Constitutional law (if you want to advocate
the position that sexual preference discrimination is and should remain
acceptable under the U.S. Constitution). Then we'd see how firmly-wed you
really are to some of your beliefs.

Since none of that will happen anytime soon, there doesn't seem to be much
point in continuing to argue about it.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old December 10th 03, 03:55 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger" lid
wrote in message ...

gay folks should learn to
screw straight people and learn to like it?

Usani! His sails unfurled!

"Fire Island, where the pants fell down!"

My step-brother's mom and her husband (his step-dad) had a beach house on
Fire Island in the late-70's/early-80's. It was quite an interesting place
(although not nearly as completely-gay as you'd think). I WILL say,
however, that many of the houses were EXTREMELY tidy and well-decorated . .
.. ;-)

Old December 10th 03, 04:01 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Andre Lieven wrote:

Chris Jones ) writes:

I've given you my definition of rights (what a state provides). What's
yours?

Things that accrue to people, regardless of whether or not they've
done anything towards their personal gaining.

IE: A driver's licence is *not* a right. One must do specific, and
optional to the living of a life, to get one.

One need not do anything to get the protection of one's nation's
Constitution, in order to get those.

Thats the difference.

That's not the correct characterization under U.S. law. Rights are
essentially ANYTHING not prohibited or infringed by powers specifically
granted to the federal government or to the States. Specific rights are
ALSO granted in the Bill of Rights but that is NOT an exclusive list.

Some freedoms and rights necessarily imply others - for example, many argue
(very persuasively) that the freedom of speech and of assembly imply a
freedom to travel; drivers' license laws in the U.S. fall somewhat short of
"rights" but they are certainly more important that mere "allowances" or
dispensations from state governments.

Old December 10th 03, 04:08 PM
Herb Schaltegger

wrote:

Should siblings where one partner has voluntarily been sterilised
be able to marry? I'd be very hesitant to say "yes"
but the only reason I've got for saying "no" is my strong suspicion
that such relationships are mostly likely damaging psychologically
to the parties involved.

In California, first cousins are allowed to marry if the woman is over
some age, I think fifty. I know such a couple. No concern in the law
about psychological factors (but cousins aren't sibs).

As you say, in the part I snipped, it's reproduction.

Concerning which, 'first cousins' probably isn't such a good idea.
(At least according to recent studies on health vs degrees of
relatedness). Even second, third may have statistically significant
drawbacks.

Actually, that's not true. Recent studies done by the National Society of
Genetic Counselors showed very little increase in the risk of genetic
defect for offspring of first cousins. See
http://depts.washington.edu/mednews/vol16/no15/cousins.html
for a good summary. The risk for serious defect goes up by somewhere
between 1.7% - 2.8%