Meade MTS-SN6 info requested.

Old July 11th 03, 05:07 AM
Etok

Default Meade MTS-SN6 info requested.

Greetings!

A friend short on closet space gave me a Mead MTS-SN6 that he was given
some years ago by someone who was disappointed in the views of DSOs this
scope provided. (It's a six inch Schmidt-Newtonian on an equatorial fork
mount).
Removing the RA drive cover, I discovered that the RA motor is missing.
The Meade website doesn't mention parts for this scope, and I haven't
given them a call yet. What do you think the chances are for finding a 115v
drive motor and worm gear assembly for such a beast?
I'd be happy to find any info (user's manual, collimation instructions,
etc) in any form for this scope.
PDF files are fine, too. Got any? Ever own one?
Other than the missing RA drive (the big gear is still there, as is the
clutch knob), it's pretty pristine.

Regards,
Etok

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 12th 03, 01:39 AM

On 11 Jul 2003 04:07:07 GMT, "Etok" wrote:

Greetings!

A friend short on closet space gave me a Mead MTS-SN6 that he was given
some years ago by someone who was disappointed in the views of DSOs this
scope provided. (It's a six inch Schmidt-Newtonian on an equatorial fork
mount).
Removing the RA drive cover, I discovered that the RA motor is missing.
The Meade website doesn't mention parts for this scope, and I haven't
given them a call yet. What do you think the chances are for finding a 115v
drive motor and worm gear assembly for such a beast?

It's possible it never had the motor. Those scopes came stripped,
even of the DEC slo motion control.
Any surplus electronics store should have a motor that will work.
It's not a difficult thing to adapt one, you may even find the very
same thing. But the worm gear may be a problem. There are some
companies that make worm gears, so it's possible you can locate one
with the same characteristics.
Collimation is the same as with any SCT.
I wouldn't pay very much for this thing since better ones are now
available from Meade.
-Rich