Why Colonize Space?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 21st 09, 02:03 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Rod Speed

Default Why Colonize Space?

Immortalista wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steven L. wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Immortalista wrote

Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe
that there is no reason for humans to leave earth.

What they actually did was **** on the claims
about colonisation of space from a great height.

Are all arguments for moving into space and onto
other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

Yep.

In spades with the stupid claim that we cant survive on just one planet.

The "When Worlds Collide" scenario isn't impossible.

So unlikely that it isnt worth spending that immense amount of money on.

What if it becomes likely that we can make some
products cheaper in space or on another planet,

Then we make them in space if that turns out of be economically viable given the total cost.

do we then decide for colonization?

Unlikely. Much more likely to be better to automate it instead.

What if colinization can pay for itself and turn a profit?

None, zero, nada, ziltch.

Doesn't your philosophy demand that we follow profits like slaves to a master?

Nope. I have never been in favor of little kids in coal mines, even tho they
are a lot smaller than adults and so the access tunnels could be smaller etc.

Or are you just that earth-centric to the point that even
if technology made it reasonable to move out in space,
you would rather humans just stay here on earth?

I dont care what they do. I dont plan to pay the immense cost
of colonising the moon or mars, there are MUCH better things
to spend that sort of money on, like nukes for example.

And given the mathematical expectation--once that scenario
takes place, Earth is gone--it would be worth hedging that bet.

Nope, insane to spend that sort of money on something that unlikely.

And **** all would be stupid enough to want to be
colonists to avoid such an unlikely possibility anyway.