An Alternative View of Global Warming

Old February 15th 17, 11:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default An Alternative View of Global Warming

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:58:31 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

The Chinese population is happy, the country is successful and
prosperous.

China has enjoyed a measure of economic success, such that things are definitely better than they have been.

It's people are some of the most free in the world.

Not even remotely.

For example, they aren't genuinely free to practice their religious faith. They
are only allowed to go to imitation churches that are actually run by the
government.

They aren't free to debate political issues. So they can't draw attention to
problems such as corruption or pollution. And there is plenty of corruption in
China, just not at the very highest political levels.

John Savard
Old February 15th 17, 11:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:46:28 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
The Democrats should stop letting insane, violent progressives infiltrate their
party before they completely alienate the American people and give birth to a
third national party.

And here I thought it was the Republicans who have jumped the rails to such an extent as to make a third national party a real possibility.

John Savard
Old February 16th 17, 01:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 4:07:52 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:46:28 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
The Democrats should stop letting insane, violent progressives infiltrate their
party before they completely alienate the American people and give birth to a
third national party.

And here I thought it was the Republicans who have jumped the rails to such an extent as to make a third national party a real possibility.

John Savard

I don't see violent progressives in the Democratic party. Liberals (progressives) tend to want to spend money to fix societal problems of the poor and disadvantaged. Conservatives tend to not want to spend money on that, relying on the free market to take care of such things. They would rather spend lots of money on the military, which is lucrative income to large corporations in the military-industrial complex. The US is the world's largest arms supplier, larger than all the others combined. It allows them to go on foreign adventures so they can secure stuff like foreign oil for the American consumer.

Now we have Trump, and he's a real piece of work. He could have actually become the president with the highest approval rating, had he done just one thing - and that is to nominate good honest conservative people to his cabinet positions, as well as the Supreme Court. Instead, every nominee, bar none have been ultra-reactionary (can't even call them right wing conservatives, they are so far out), almost as if he wanted to re-instate the 100 year 3RD Reich here in the US! For those who don't know what a conservative is: A REAL CONSERVATIVE DOES NOT LIE, EVER!!!

Just look at his latest failed Labor Secretary pick: A man who makes more money in one day (by a factor of 2) than any of his workers make in a year! He has a history of violence against his wife, he stiffs his workers for overtime pay, he hires undocumented housekeepers and doesn't pay the Soc.Sec. taxes (which is totally illegal) and he hires foreign workers at his restaurants and pays them below minimum wage. Yeah, a real advocate for wage earners in America.

A labor secretary is supposed to look out for the working men and women, not **** on them! (oh, and I'm sure Rich finds this all just hunky dory, right Rich?). If Trump's pick had been chosen to head the small business administration, well yea, then I can see a guy like this to be a somewhat rational choice - if you think small business owners should stiff workers for overtime pay, which I find abhorrent.
Old February 16th 17, 01:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:06:09 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:58:31 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

The Chinese population is happy, the country is successful and
prosperous.

China has enjoyed a measure of economic success, such that things are definitely better than they have been.

It's people are some of the most free in the world.

Not even remotely.

I disagree. I've traveled in the country, and have many Chinese
friends, none of whom have any interest in living elsewhere (despite
traveling regularly outside of the country). In China you can quite
freely discuss and criticize the system, you can work at what you want
to work at, study what you want to study, live where you want to live.
Its economy is highly capitalistic making it possible to acquire
reasonable wealth if you desire.

Sure, you don't generally get to vote for your government. But very
few Chinese care, because they have a benevolent government. It's not
like we have more than an illusion of democratic control in the U.S.

For example, they aren't genuinely free to practice their religious faith. They
are only allowed to go to imitation churches that are actually run by the
government.

That is a myth. In fact, people are generally free to practice
different religions in China. (Not that I consider a restriction on
that to be a serious challenge to freedom.)

They aren't free to debate political issues. So they can't draw attention to
problems such as corruption or pollution.

Again, not true. There are a very narrow range of topics (with
justifications sometimes not very obvious) that are off limits. But
Chinese people discuss politics very freely, and criticize
institutions.

And there is plenty of corruption in
China, just not at the very highest political levels.

Many "free" countries have greater corruption. Corruption is always
found in governments. It's no worse in China than in many other
places.
Old February 16th 17, 01:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:11:43 -0800 (PST), Razzmatazz
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 4:07:52 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:46:28 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
The Democrats should stop letting insane, violent progressives infiltrate their
party before they completely alienate the American people and give birth to a
third national party.

And here I thought it was the Republicans who have jumped the rails to such an extent as to make a third national party a real possibility.

John Savard

I don't see violent progressives in the Democratic party.

I don't really see many progressives at all in the Democratic party.
At least, not in the leadership. There are an increasing number of
progressive Democrats, but they have somewhat limited influence on
their party.

Old February 16th 17, 05:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

wrote:

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 4:07:52 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:46:28 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
The Democrats should stop letting insane, violent progressives infiltrate their
party before they completely alienate the American people and give birth to a
third national party.

And here I thought it was the Republicans who have jumped the rails to such an extent as to make a third national party a real possibility.

John Savard

I don't see violent progressives in the Democratic party.

I don't really see many progressives at all in the Democratic party.
At least, not in the leadership. There are an increasing number of
progressive Democrats, but they have somewhat limited influence on
their party.

I know Al Franken from Minnesota, a really intelligent progressive-conservative, probably one of the best the Democrats have. A real gentleman, no-nonsense guy, who I consider to be a real statesman who represents the best of this country.
Old February 16th 17, 03:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

[...]

Yes, he's one of the good ones. Very moderate by the political
standards of the developed world, but progressive when viewed from an
American viewpoint.
Old February 16th 17, 08:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

wrote:

[...]

I just heard the latest rant by the orange gruppenfuerer where he blames everyone except himself for the mess he is in. Especially blames the press, which is of course the first thing a good autocrat tries to destroy on his way to becoming supreme dictator.

Lessee, first threaten to jail political opponent, pick cronies to surround oneself, neutralize the free press, get rid of labor unions and labor leaders, then use alternate truth (i.e. lies) to confuse the population. Works every time. Oh and throw some candy to the upper classes (lotsa tax breaks) so they will support you.

"The truth, like reality, is always there. The trick is to recognize it when it is revealed. Truths of convenience are almost always more attractive. The naked truth is covered with warts, is overweight with a serious cellulite problem and insists on pole dancing on the dining room table." Author unknown.
Old February 18th 17, 08:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 20:33:21 UTC+1, Razzmatazz wrote:

"The truth, like reality, is always there. The trick is to recognize it when it is revealed. Truths of convenience are almost always more attractive.. The naked truth is covered with warts, is overweight with a serious cellulite problem and insists on pole dancing on the dining room table." Author unknown.

I keep having these repetitive nightmares!
Russian scientists have resurrected a baby, hairy mammoth from the permafrost.
And then the Russian President gave the baby mammoth to the American people..
Where it started happily munching between the bunkers on the White House Lawn.
The people thought it's golden mane was so cute they let the critter indoors.
Where it grew and grew until it entirely filled the Oval Office!
But, its off-gassing was so awful that very soon, nobody wanted to go anywhere near it.
Except for other hairy mammoths with thick, golden manes.
And so the fabled golden mammoths lived there happily ever after.
And the American people pass their days ceremoniously shoveling great mountains of mammoth ****.
Old February 19th 17, 10:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 01:56:28 UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
On Monday, 13 February 2017 18:00:10 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
It seriously strains my credulity to consider the notion that the collapse of the DPRK would directly bring about the collapse of the PRC. Sure, they might be so foolish as to start a war with the U.S. because they'd rather not have the ROK as a neighbor, but that's hardly a given.

Having a billion brainwashed [zombie] NK citizens crossing the border into China desperately looking for food could easily destabilize China.

Unlike the stupid Europeans, China won't let that happen.