Alternative Facts predicted by Dr. Who 40 years ago

Old January 28th 17, 04:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Alternative Facts predicted by Dr. Who 40 years ago

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 08:39:01 -0800 (PST), Razzmatazz
wrote:

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:18:34 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 08:21:00 -0800 (PST), Razzmatazz
wrote:

I firmly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the luxury of poverty during their youth so they are not distracted by the pursuit of money and stuff that money buys.

I firmly believe that nobody should ever experience poverty, but that
growing up with only the resources needed to just get by is valuable,
especially where one can augment those resources by their own skills
and ambition.

I didn't say that everyone should experience poverty.

Fair enough. I do think, however, that growing up without ever
experiencing a fairly minimalist material existence is not healthy.
Not merely the opportunity, but the reality.
Old January 28th 17, 05:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Saturday, 28 January 2017 17:39:03 UTC+1, Razzmatazz wrote:

I didn't say that everyone should experience poverty. I said that everyone should have the OPPORTUNITY to experience poverty. That makes it an optional thing that you can choose. For instance, you might decide to leave home at the tender age of 18 and roam parts of the world you have never seen, living on your skills as best you can. In fact, it would be beneficial to this country if every high school student could have the opportunity to spend a year in another country, living with the locals, perhaps thru a Peace Corps type of program.

Razzy

It would seem that many would soon never be able to return.

Poverty is always relative and often directly connected.
One man's cheap tech toy is often another's grinding, factory slavery.
Slavery must be the deepest level of poverty on the planet.
And still widely practiced in America, Asia, Africa, India and Europe.

Trump promised to rid America of the bogey man and was actually believed.
Now America has the elected the nastiest bogeyman in recent history.
That, gentlemen, beggars belief!
Old January 28th 17, 06:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
I didn't say that everyone should experience poverty. I said that

everyone =
should have the OPPORTUNITY to experience poverty. That makes it an

optiona=
l thing that you can choose.

Anyone has that option anytime. If you quit your job and give away
all your possessions, then you'll experience poverty.
Old January 28th 17, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:

I firmly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to

experience the luxury of poverty during their youth so they are not
distracted by the pursuit of money and stuff that money buys.

I firmly believe that nobody should ever experience poverty, but

that
growing up with only the resources needed to just get by is

valuable,
especially where one can augment those resources by their own skills
and ambition.

I fully agree with that. It is important to distinguish genuine
poverty from not being as wealthy as you'd like to be. Then you'll
also more easily adapt to the economical realities of retirement when
that time arrives, if you don't have generous retirement insurances.
Old January 28th 17, 07:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 10:18:34 AM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I firmly believe that nobody should ever experience poverty, but that
growing up with only the resources needed to just get by is valuable,

Hypocrite.

Old January 28th 17, 07:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:47:29 PM UTC-5, Razzmatazz wrote:
Get off ass and do what needs to be done, and forget about politicians getting you a job.

Especially since it was (liberal) politicians who have made it so expensive and difficult for the private sector to hire people.

Coming soon to Seattle... burger-making machines that replace minimum wage fast food cooks. Film at 11.

Old January 28th 17, 07:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Razzmatazz:
I was dirt poor and often had little or no money for anything other than
sustenance and a roof over my head. I firmly believe that everyone should
have the opportunity to experience the luxury of poverty during their youth
so they are not distracted by the pursuit of money and stuff that money
buys.

lal_truckee:
Problem is, down on the farm, nobody told me I was poor when I was a
kid, so I missed the lesson.

Easy enough if you're down on the farm. Not so easy if you are
attending a school where not *quite* everyone is poor. You can't really
imagine how the wealthy family lives, but you've seen their fancy ranch
house with pool, seen their new Cadillac convertible. This in the late
1950's. My dad had a 1937 Dodge, which was worth $35 at that time. He
had liability insurance, of course, but no comprehensive--not worth the
cost. So there was an untouchable $50 set aside to replace it in case
it was demolished or stolen :-) or became unserviceable.

Many people in the patch did not own cars, had no licenses. No big
thing. There was a WWII Jeep parked in the alley, not registered or
insured, so most people didn't know who owned it. It had push-button
start, no key needed (just like your late-model car!). Anyone who
needed it could drive it to the grocery store, but you were expected to
kick in at least $0.25 for gas before you returned it. The county
sheriff ignored the Jeep. It was about 3 miles to the store; getting
there in good weather was a pleasant enough walk, but getting back with
groceries was difficult and the entire trip was grueling in inclement
weather. Why no adults had the sense to ride bicycles I have no idea.
It just wasn't done.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 28th 17, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 8:18:34 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I firmly believe that nobody should ever experience poverty, but that
growing up with only the resources needed to just get by is valuable,
especially where one can augment those resources by their own skills
and ambition.

Um, how do you define "poverty"? Usually, the definition in use in developed
countries includes not having anything for luxuries - not merely having
inadequate resources for the absolute necessities.

John Savard