Bob Knob's installation compromises corrector cover seal on Meade2080

Old February 22nd 17, 09:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
R2D4

Default Bob Knob's installation compromises corrector cover seal on Meade2080

I made a modified version of Bob's Knobs (stainless bolts with small
brass knobs) for my recently acquired Meade 8" 2080 OTA. However, even
after grinding down the brass so that it almost doesn't allow finger
access, the cover still wants to touch the knobs even with some spacers
I made and used. Ideally, I need a cover with longer edges which would
solve the problem, but not sure if I could ever find one of the correct
size. Some sort of shower cap might be a secondary choice, but I'd
rather have something like the original since I'll be transporting to
remote areas at times for set up. Any ideas would be welcome. Perhaps
someone knows of a ready made container that has a cover that would
work. I'm thinking of larger round candy metal containers if I could
find one with long enough edges. Maybe a DIY hard cover solution.
Thanks in advance.
Old February 23rd 17, 12:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 16:12:07 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

I made a modified version of Bob's Knobs (stainless bolts with small
brass knobs) for my recently acquired Meade 8" 2080 OTA. However, even
after grinding down the brass so that it almost doesn't allow finger
access, the cover still wants to touch the knobs even with some spacers
I made and used. Ideally, I need a cover with longer edges which would
solve the problem, but not sure if I could ever find one of the correct
size. Some sort of shower cap might be a secondary choice, but I'd
rather have something like the original since I'll be transporting to
remote areas at times for set up. Any ideas would be welcome. Perhaps
someone knows of a ready made container that has a cover that would
work. I'm thinking of larger round candy metal containers if I could
find one with long enough edges. Maybe a DIY hard cover solution.
Thanks in advance.

Maybe punch out three holes where the bolt heads are, and glue
something like bottle caps over them to keep the cap sealed?
Old February 23rd 17, 03:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
R2D4

On 02/22/2017 07:34 PM, Chris L Peterson wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I think that turned out to be a great suggestion. I did just
that after marking each knob with nail polish, then pressed the cover
down to the where I'd make the holes. The good news in the end turned
out to be that the knobs are even with the cover, so all I had to do was
glue a small flat piece of plastic over each hole. I used clear so I
could easily see how to put the cover on each time. Problem solved!
Old February 23rd 17, 01:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
R2D4

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, basically did just that. The good news is
that the knob tops were nearly even with the cover, so all I had to do
was silicone a small, transparent plastic cover over the holes, that way
I could see when I put the cover on that it's not touching the knobs.