!! Please help

Old September 29th 05, 07:43 AM
Hunt James

Default !! Please help

I am looking for a map of our local galaxy, for want of a better term, top down. I can't seem to find anything except one map from NASA that has only 15 stars on it. Whilst I am unlikely to find one that has all the stars named and to scale of the whole galaxy; I would like to have a good sized area of galaxy to view.

Thank you

Old September 29th 05, 08:10 AM
Starlord

There is no such map, why? Because there's lots of Stars on the other side
of the Galaxy that we can't even see much less map. Look at photos of M31,
that can give you an idea of what ours would look like. There are a few
Artest drawings and such of what ours "Might" look like from above, but
there's a lot of guess work in them.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net

Old September 29th 05, 08:27 AM
Twittering One

Try ~
Pink Caddilac ~ !

Old September 29th 05, 09:27 AM
Painius

"Hunt James" wrote in message...

I am looking for a map of our local galaxy, for want of a better term,
top down. I can't seem to find anything except one map from NASA
that has only 15 stars on it. Whilst I am unlikely to find one that has
all the stars named and to scale of the whole galaxy; I would like to
have a good sized area of galaxy to view.

Thank you

'Lo James --

Closest i have come to this is at this website, so...
happy hunting!

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Are you sleeping?
Stars are waiting,

Are you looking?
Stars are soaring,
Flashing, twinkling just for you.

Indelibly yours,
Paine http://www.savethechildren.org/
http://www.painellsworth.net

Old September 29th 05, 12:58 PM
Double-A

Hunt James wrote:
I am looking for a map of our local galaxy, for want of a better term, top down. I can't seem to find anything except one map from NASA that has only 15 stars on it. Whilst I am unlikely to find one that has all the stars named and to scale of the whole galaxy; I would like to have a good sized area of galaxy to view.

Thank you

Maybe alt.astronomy's No. 1 poster, Art Deco, can help you.

Double-A

Old September 29th 05, 05:48 PM
Art Deco

Double-A wrote:

Hunt James wrote:
I am looking for a map of our local galaxy, for want of a better term, top
down. I can't seem to find anything except one map from NASA that has only
15 stars on it. Whilst I am unlikely to find one that has all the stars
named and to scale of the whole galaxy; I would like to have a good sized
area of galaxy to view.

Thank you

Maybe alt.astronomy's No. 1 poster, Art Deco, can help you.

Double-A

How ironic.

--
Official Associate AFA-B Vote Rustler

"The original human being was a female hermaphrodite with
both male and female genitalia."

"Human beings CAN NOT live in a solar system without a sun
with a ferrite core and a planet without a solid iron core."

-- Alexa Cameron, Kook of the Year 2004
Old September 29th 05, 05:56 PM
John Zinni

"Hunt James" wrote in message
I am looking for a map of our local galaxy, for want of a better term, top
down. I can't seem to find anything except one map from NASA that has only
15 stars on it. Whilst I am unlikely to find one that has all the stars
named and to scale of the whole galaxy; I would like to have a good sized
area of galaxy to view.

Thank you

This site might be what you're looking for.
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/index.html

Old September 29th 05, 11:04 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hunt Looking at our galaxy top down(face on) is not possible. You can
get an artist view of the Milky way head on. The print costs $20
bucks,and I bought mine at the Mt. Palmar observatory Ca. Beert

Old October 3rd 05, 03:22 AM
Odysseus

Painius wrote:

"Hunt James" wrote in message...

I am looking for a map of our local galaxy, for want of a better term,
top down. I can't seem to find anything except one map from NASA
that has only 15 stars on it. Whilst I am unlikely to find one that has
all the stars named and to scale of the whole galaxy; I would like to
have a good sized area of galaxy to view.

Closest i have come to this is at this website, so...
happy hunting!

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/

Yes, one of my favourite sites.

In particular

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/milkyway.html

might be what James is looking for, although of course the scale is
too large to show individual stars or even clusters. But by "zooming
in" from there one can put the more detailed maps into context.

(BTW, please fix your sig-separator: it needs a space after the two hyphens.)

--
Odysseus
Old October 5th 05, 09:32 AM
Painius

"Odysseus" wrote...
in message ...

Painius wrote:

"Hunt James" wrote in message...

[...]

Yes, O, i saw that you mentioned this to someone
else in the group as well. Curious, because i always
place at least one space at the end of *every* line in
my posts.

You must remember that my OE newsreader places
the sig-separator automatically with two hyphens and
a space. I've noticed that OE also removes all the
spaces i've typed after each line when it drafts or
posts... all *except* the space following the two-
hyphen sig-sep.

You have a MAC? What does it do when there is no
space after the sig-sep. in a post you're reading?

--
Odysseus

P.S. -- I just tested the post you responded to by
attempting a reply. All the spaces after each line have
been taken out, but there is still a space following the
two hyphens. Go figure. g

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--