Space Odyssey BBC1 tonight

Old November 9th 04, 10:18 AM
Paul Neave

Default Space Odyssey BBC1 tonight

Looking forward to this, 9pm tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog.../spaceodyssey/

Old November 9th 04, 09:59 PM
Fleetie

"Paul Neave" wrote
Looking forward to this, 9pm tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog.../spaceodyssey/

Better than I feared it would be.

Started off thinking there was gonna be FAR too much "human drama"
type stuff in it, but IMO they didn't goo TOO far overboard.

Learnt some new facts and figures.

Could've been MUCH worse.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

Old November 9th 04, 10:50 PM
Darren

It DID seem ok.

I had to laugh about Aurora Pegasi though!

Now were they venting an atmosphere or just carrying a spare external one
around with them? grin

Darren

"Fleetie" wrote in message
"Paul Neave" wrote
Looking forward to this, 9pm tonight

Old November 9th 04, 11:22 PM
Jo

In ,
Darren typed:
It DID seem ok.

I had to laugh about Aurora Pegasi though!

Now were they venting an atmosphere or just carrying a spare external
one around with them? grin

They were passing throught the coronasphere at the time :-)

Jo

Old November 9th 04, 11:28 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Darren
writes
It DID seem ok.

I had to laugh about Aurora Pegasi though!

Now were they venting an atmosphere or just carrying a spare external one
around with them? grin

The fact that they mentioned it makes me wonder if you _would_ see
something with that strong a magnetic field. The natural aurora is
produced at a height where the atmosphere is a good vacuum, and a quick
Google search told me something about SEPAC and artificial auroras.
I was very impressed with Space Odyssey, and the idea of astronauts as
ordinary guys who get eczema from stress. Been there :-(
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old November 9th 04, 11:39 PM
Fleetie

I liked their vision of what it'd look through Venus' soupy (~95 atm)
and HOT atmosphere, and really liked their rendering of it!

Wonder how much like that it'd be.

Martin

Old November 10th 04, 12:16 AM
Martin Frey

"Paul Neave" wrote:

Looking forward to this, 9pm tonight

About 41.5 minutes in I noticed a small insect on the Russian
astronauts spacesuit. The whole programme is a HOAX.

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------

Old November 10th 04, 08:56 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:28:33 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Darren
writes
It DID seem ok.

I had to laugh about Aurora Pegasi though!

Now were they venting an atmosphere or just carrying a spare external one
around with them? grin

The fact that they mentioned it makes me wonder if you _would_ see
something with that strong a magnetic field. The natural aurora is
produced at a height where the atmosphere is a good vacuum, and a quick
Google search told me something about SEPAC and artificial auroras.
I was very impressed with Space Odyssey, and the idea of astronauts as
ordinary guys who get eczema from stress. Been there :-(

I only saw the last half but it looked very watchable. I have a gripe
though - why, oh why, do they put the first half decent space program
on at 9pm in the evening when a lot of kids, to whom it would appeal
greatly, would be tucked up in bed.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old November 10th 04, 08:57 AM
Ed

"Fleetie" wrote:

Better than I feared it would be.

Yes, it was rather enjoyable. Only thing that made me cringe was the
mission control room. It had a dark, avant-garde feel to it, kind of like
they had re-used sets from Cold Lazarus and other future-based drama
series. Real mission control rooms have chipboard partitions, polystyrene
ceiling tiles and Coke cans littering the desks, not to mention little plastic
toy aliens sitting atop the monitors. :-)