what shall I buy? :-)

Old August 21st 03, 10:09 PM
Chads Ford

Default what shall I buy? :-)

Folks,

Shall I buy a 10in meade LXD-55 with Ultra High coating for $1249

or

Shall I buy a Celestron 6 inch C6RGT for $1094 (includes a GOTO mount).

or ?

thanks!!!!
Old August 21st 03, 10:36 PM
Stephen Paul

"Chads Ford" wrote in message
m...
Folks,

Shall I buy a 10in meade LXD-55 with Ultra High coating for $1249

or

Shall I buy a Celestron 6 inch C6RGT for $1094 (includes a GOTO mount).

or ?

A 10" F6 Dobson with (or without) DSCs, an EQ Platform, a 24mm Panoptic, and
a handful of Orthos.

Old August 21st 03, 10:38 PM
Bobsprit

Shall I buy a 10in meade LXD-55 with Ultra High coating for $1249
or
Shall I buy a Celestron 6 inch C6RGT for $1094 (includes a GOTO mount).

9.24 Celestron is withing range. Save for it. You won't regret it. Buy anything
but the Meade.

Capt RB
Old August 21st 03, 10:44 PM
Bobsprit

A 10" F6 Dobson with (or without) DSCs, an EQ Platform, a 24mm Panoptic, and
a handful of Orthos.

Orion's 10 with the computer...yup, a low cost alternative to the SCT.

RB
Old August 21st 03, 11:00 PM
Shawn Grant

buy the 10". It is bigger therefore you can see more.

Old August 22nd 03, 01:42 AM
Rick Wagoner

I'm looking at the two sub $1K refractors by Meade and Celestron. I already
have a Meade LX200 (I was an early adopter) and am looking for a reasonably
priced refractor.

I'm primarily concerned with the quality of the mount and the optics.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rick

Old August 22nd 03, 02:19 AM
Al

"Rick Wagoner" wrote in message
I'm looking at the two sub $1K refractors by Meade and Celestron. I

already
have a Meade LX200 (I was an early adopter) and am looking for a

reasonably
priced refractor.

I'm primarily concerned with the quality of the mount and the optics.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rick

Try to steer clear of the Meade LXD55 series, as the mount is _not_ up to
the task. The Celestron version of the refractor is better, provided that
you don't expect too much when you put one of those big 6" refractors on the
dressed up CG-5. Either way, you will be disappointed if you expect LX200
like performance from either one of these scopes.

Al