Jodrell Bank light pollution simulation - can I expect that in the real sky?

Old July 7th 03, 07:40 PM
Peter Johnson

Default Jodrell Bank light pollution simulation - can I expect that in the real sky?

Wint&Kidd wrote in message
visitor centre at Jodrell Bank is to be demolished in the very near

future.
Is this true?

I hope not, I love that place!

Don't worry, the new centre will be (I am led to believe) a big
improvement over those old buildings.

Old July 7th 03, 07:46 PM
Peter Johnson

pete lynch wrote in message

Learn to drive first, wait a while for the telescope.
and yes, dark skies (_really_ dark ones) are magical.
Going from murky ole england to new mexico last year
was fantastic, but also depressing.
There were so many rich objects to look at that I got
lost. The constellations we become familar with come
lost in the mass of stars. After a while I got aquainted
with the n.m. sky.
Sadly I had to come back (the depressing part!) and now
I'm spoilt.

Thanks for your input Pete. I look forward to experiencing
truly dark skies first hand. I promise not to get too spoiled!

Old July 8th 03, 11:05 AM
Chris.B

"Peter Johnson" wrote in message ...
pete lynch wrote in message

Learn to drive first, wait a while for the telescope.
and yes, dark skies (_really_ dark ones) are magical.
Going from murky ole england to new mexico last year
was fantastic, but also depressing.
There were so many rich objects to look at that I got
lost. The constellations we become familar with come
lost in the mass of stars. After a while I got aquainted
with the n.m. sky.
Sadly I had to come back (the depressing part!) and now
I'm spoilt.

Thanks for your input Pete. I look forward to experiencing
truly dark skies first hand. I promise not to get too spoiled!

Isn't it rather sad that this thread should actually be reality
today? Only we older persons and the "rurally disadvantaged' know what
pitch black skies really mean. Perhaps we need a trendy name for it.
Like: "Light pollution challenged". Or even something clever!

O/T: I can safely report that Martin's 'Funky Foam' makes an
excellent lining for a 2" drawtube. (I thought I'd better end on a
positive note in case Simon complains about me complaining again). g

Chris.B