Jodrell Bank light pollution simulation - can I expect that in the real sky?

Old July 6th 03, 05:14 PM
Peter Johnson

Default Jodrell Bank light pollution simulation - can I expect that in the real sky?

Recently I visited JB's Science Centre, where they have regular
Planetarium shows. At the start of the show, a light-polluted sky
of Chesire was simulated. It was a very dramatic moment to see
this change to a completely dark sky with no light pollution. But I'm
wondering, was this merely a dramatised exaggeration, or could I
really expect a non-polluted sky to be such a vast improvement as
demonstrated?

The answer is pivotal as to whether I learn to drive (I'm 17 next month)
to be able to take my 15 cm Newtonian to a dark site, or instead I
invest the money in a larger telescope in order to "beat" the light
pollution in the back yard.

Comments, opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Old July 6th 03, 05:29 PM
PSmith9626

Dear peter,
In a dark sky, you will see with your unaided eye--more than 6000 stars, and
the milky way.
Learn to drive.
best
Penny

Old July 6th 03, 06:25 PM
Chris Marriott

"PSmith9626" wrote in message
Dear peter,
In a dark sky, you will see with your unaided eye--more than 6000 stars,

and
the milky way.

In the entire sky there are something like 6500 "naked eye" stars. Given the
fact that you can only see half the sky at any one time, and that
atmospheric extinction wipes out faint stars close to the horizon, I doubt
that you could ever see more than, perhaps, 2000-2500 stars at any given
time in even the darkest of skies!

Where do you get your figure of 6000 from?

Curiously,

Chris

Old July 6th 03, 08:32 PM
Richard Bullock

Recently I visited JB's Science Centre, where they have regular
Planetarium shows. At the start of the show, a light-polluted sky
of Chesire was simulated. It was a very dramatic moment to see
this change to a completely dark sky with no light pollution. But I'm
wondering, was this merely a dramatised exaggeration, or could I
really expect a non-polluted sky to be such a vast improvement as
demonstrated?

I live only a few miles from JB (although much closer to Manchester and the
Airport), and I'd say the difference when I look in my back garden is very
dramatic to when I visit dark sites in North Wales. I have heard that the
visitor centre at Jodrell Bank is to be demolished in the very near future.
Is this true?

The answer is pivotal as to whether I learn to drive (I'm 17 next month)
to be able to take my 15 cm Newtonian to a dark site, or instead I
invest the money in a larger telescope in order to "beat" the light
pollution in the back yard.

I learned to drive a couple of years ago (I'm now 19), and I've found the
skill very useful for other things than astronomy.

Ric

Old July 7th 03, 07:26 PM
Peter Johnson

PSmith9626 wrote in message
Dear peter,
In a dark sky, you will see with your unaided eye--more than 6000
stars, and the milky way.
Learn to drive.

Thanks for the reply Penny. Travelling to a dark site to seek out
those elusive faint galaxies appears to be the answer.

Old July 7th 03, 07:40 PM
Peter Johnson

Wint&Kidd wrote in message
visitor centre at Jodrell Bank is to be demolished in the very near

future.
Is this true?

I hope not, I love that place!

Don't worry, the new centre will be (I am led to believe) a big
improvement over those old buildings.