[ANN] Mars24 is 5.0, released 2003-07-28 - Free Java Software

Old July 30th 03, 03:54 AM
Davoud

Default [ANN] Mars24 is 5.0, released 2003-07-28 - Free Java Software

John Steinberg:
From the good people at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies...

My Tidy Review:
Runs very well as a stand-alone application under OS X...

Tidy, indeed! Thank you very much. To save others the a minute or two,
the D/L link is http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/.

*****

While I have your attention (I hope), do you have first-hand knowledge
as to whether Maxim CCD/DL is fully functional under VPC on OS X? The
Cyanogen FAQ says:

"Q: Can you use MaxIm DL/CCD to control a CCD camera on a Macintosh?

A: In most cases no, only the image processing functions will work; but
there are exceptions. Most cameras will not work on a Macintosh since
the interface hardware is not compatible. Parallel port, plug-in card,
and SCSI interfaces will not work. A number of customers have reported
that serial and USB interfaces work under Virtual PC; however, this has
not been tested by our staff and we cannot guarantee correct
operation."

I haven't been able to locate any of those customers who have reported
success (presumably with the USBSerial adapter). I have such an
adapter, and I'd be delighted to send it to Cyanogen as a gift. But
they probably don't have a Mac to try it on, and I can't afford to send
them any of my Macs just now. And I'd rather stick with film than
invest in Wintel hardware again! (When other folks say things like this
I accuse them of cutting off their noses to spite their faces.)

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 31st 03, 02:23 AM
Sirius 2000

Default Sirius 2000: Maxim DL/CCD on Virtual PC

Davoud wrote in message

May I take it that to you "works like a dream" means "is fully
functional -- camera control as well as image processing?"

Although I haven't explored all the features of MaxIm DL, everything
works as expected, and no major problems in the past 2 years of use.
However, I had to upgrade from OS 7.6, as it did not recognize the USB
port. This was really meant to be a temporary solution until I could track
down decent Mac-native CCD software, and then go back to OS 7.6.
I've now gotten used to OS 8, so I'll stick with it as it works well.
Old July 31st 03, 03:04 AM
Davoud

Davoud:
May I take it that to you "works like a dream" means "is fully
functional -- camera control as well as image processing?"

Sirius 2000:
Although I haven't explored all the features of MaxIm DL, everything
works as expected, and no major problems in the past 2 years of use.
However, I had to upgrade from OS 7.6, as it did not recognize the USB
port. This was really meant to be a temporary solution until I could track
down decent Mac-native CCD software, and then go back to OS 7.6.
I've now gotten used to OS 8, so I'll stick with it as it works well.

Great. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com