20040907021738-40027: We, first loosers for 100 years.

Old September 7th 04, 08:17 AM
Christian Ramos

Default 20040907021738-40027: We, first loosers for 100 years.

Robomod had the following to say about this post:
- submission from unregistered poster

Article key: b76cf79b6c1b82780c5397c7005ac378

----- original body/abstract -----

(Derek Lyons) wrote in message ...
"Vello" wrote:
Just one strange idea: mankind don't have now space capabilities comparable
what we had 30 years ago. It seems it is first time mankind is "dropping
back" in technology - or is there some other examples in history (well there
was a time after collapse of Roman Empire when a lot of technologies were
lost, but my post is about last 200-400 years)

Nice thesis, but it founders on the rocks of reality. There isn't a
capability that we had thirty years ago that we know don't have.

D.

Ahem..Your statement appears to violate the understanding of most of
the aerospace people I've had contact with . You could argue it for
russian technology (debateable) but for american, well, my
understanding is that for the USA to undertake a lunar landing now
would require development from scratch of many technologies. I've also
know from past discussions, that some of the technologies that the US
uses currently will not even function in outer space due to the
different environments and the US focus on LEO rather than outer space
environments.

Let's take a basic requirement. In the 60's the US had a spacesuit
capable of allowing astronauts to function on the moons surface for
brief periods, they werent very good suits but they worked for the
hours required and did the job. Currently, the US utilises the EMU, a
zero-g environment suit not suitable for the lunar surface operations.

Is it your contention, that the apollo spacesuit could still be
produced in the US without having to redevelop it from scratch?

From what I was reading recently, the US seems to have forgotten some

aspects of the technology they even use today. I recently read that
people at one point were not even aware that you could use a harness
in the current emu spacesuit. Note: I may be oversimplifying with the
word harness, but it was a contraption for holding the astronaut in
position within the suit and noone was aware the capability even
existed or how to go about fitting it to a astronaut and this is a
cuurrent configuration item on an existing and supported piece of
technology.

You could argue this is just a sympton of the ongoing decline in the
USA's scientific and technology, but it's more likely driven by the
hectic pace at the time of apollo launches and the termination of the
program.