Looking at Galaxy NGC 891

Old August 24th 03, 02:32 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Looking at Galaxy NGC 891

Have a picture of this galaxy(I like pictures) This galaxy shows itself
as a parrel plane in our line of view(horizontal) The picture is shown
in visible light. The first thought that comes to mind looking at the
picture is "what is that very dark area?" This dark area seems to slice
the galaxy into an upper and lower parts. It looks like a long black
cloud blocking out the stars that are in back of it. Would all galaxies
have this feature when their line of view is edge on ?
Bert

Old August 24th 03, 04:17 PM
Bill Nunnelee

The dark lane is composed of dust and gas---basically the same thing as
nebulae. Within our own Milky Way, we're able to see some of them (the
Orion Nebula, Lagoon, Eagle, etc.) when newly formed hot stars are close
enough to excite the atoms in them. But there are many more that remain
dark and unilluminated.

Compare the image of NGC 891 with a wide field time exposure of the Milky
Way (like the one below) and you'll see a striking similarity. Dust lanes
are a feature of most edge-on spiral galaxies, but absent in ellipticals,
which tend to be dust poor.

http://www.davidmalin.com/fujii/source/af3-21_72.html

Old August 24th 03, 06:51 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Bill thanks for that picture. I think I should have said "Do all "spiral
galaxies" that are seen edge on have this horizontal dark area running
through. A spiral galaxy looks like a pizza edge on. It is compressed
top to bottom. It spreads out east and west(sideways). Well in the
middle it has a meat ball. Bert

Old August 31st 03, 08:50 AM
Painius

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

Have a picture of this galaxy(I like pictures) This galaxy shows itself
as a parrel plane in our line of view(horizontal) The picture is shown
in visible light. The first thought that comes to mind looking at the
picture is "what is that very dark area?" This dark area seems to slice
the galaxy into an upper and lower parts. It looks like a long black
cloud blocking out the stars that are in back of it. Would all galaxies
have this feature when their line of view is edge on ?
Bert

That's a beauty, Bert! Your first thought is a dust lane that spans
the circumference of the disk. The intriguiging thing for scientists
is that in high-res photos of NGC-891, there are sprays of material
(gas and dust) that are being accelerated perpendicular to the disk.
This effect is not well-understood...

http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/obs...891blocks3.jpg

And no, not all edge-on galaxies exhibit such a dust lane. Here
are more pics of edge-ons. You'll also find that dust lanes, when
they *are* present, can vary widely in size and shape...

http://www.curtisnet.co.uk/~acurtis/edge.html

In your studies, try to find images of NGC-891 in the infrared.
These are the best images for penetration of the dust lane.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
The Flow! The Flow!
The Flow ain't goin' slow,

The Flow! the Flow!
I must go with The Flow,
The Flow is where I want to be--
NOT on the sandy sho'.

NObody wants to feel...

ALL WASHED UP

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 31st 03, 01:35 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Painius Nice pictures.Thank you. Never heard that edge on spiral
galaxies don't radiate as much photons in our line of view. That has to
be true. Having lots of gas and dust that seem to be at the rim of the
disc blocks out photons. Is it possible Painius even the Hubble
could not see these edge on galaxies say at distances 5 billion LY
That could make for some interesting thinking. I can see why
infrared photons are better for going through dust. That is proven here
on earth with every sun set,and sun rise. Bert