[fitsbits] Dataset identifications.

Old March 12th 04, 01:14 AM
Thierry Forveille

Default [fitsbits] Dataset identifications.

Thomas McGlynn writes:
My feeling is that if the two elements of data are so tightly
coupled that they would normally be put in the same FITS file,
then one would consider them to be the same dataset. At the HEASARC
datasets generally comprise more than one FITS file. I can't think
off the top of my head of an example where a given FITS file would
naturally split up into multiple IDs.

The need I had in mind is further down the line than either telescopes or
places like HEASARC: an astronomer builds a single FITS file with all the
images+photon-lists+tables+... that he uses in a given A&A paper, gives
them a new DS_IDENT of course (probably derived from the bib code of the
paper) in the primary header, and keeps the original DS_IDENT for each
extension. Or actually, that merging might end up being done by the
journals.

It's a slight extension of what you proposed and it might perhaps never
actually develop into reality, but I see no major reason to outright
forbid that use.

Old March 12th 04, 03:33 PM
Arnold Rots

Frankly, to avoid any confusion, I would advocate putting it in all
relevant headers, including the primary even when it is empty.

- Arnold

Mark Calabretta wrote:

On Thu 2004/03/11 12:20:12 CDT, Thomas McGlynn wrote
in a message to: Thierry Forveille
and copied to: ,

one use of the IDs. However, I'm
concerned that if a single FITS file is not atomic with respect
to the dataset identifier, then it would generally be difficult
for software to use the ID to tie things together. E.g., one
would need to scan the entire FITS file to find the included IDs.

Putting an index of IDs in the primary header, i.e. just a list of the
IDs that come later, would preclude the need to scan past the first
header when looking for a particular ID.

Mark Calabretta
ATNF

Arnold H. Rots Chandra X-ray Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory tel: +1 617 496 7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67 fax: +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/