Private US capsule not to dock with ISS

Old September 19th 11, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Space Cadet[_1_]

Default Private US capsule not to dock with ISS

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/...h_ISS_999.html

The Russians are saying 'Nyet' to Dragon berthing with ISS on its next
launch attempt are they being prudent or are they just trying to delay
their competition for HSF?

Just my $0.02

Space Cadet

Moon Society - St. Louis Chapter

http://www.moonsociety.org/chapters/stlouis/

The Moon Society is a non-profit educational and
scientific foundation formed to further scientific
study and development of the moon.

Old September 19th 11, 11:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Sep 19, 8:24*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 9/19/2011 11:24 AM, Space Cadet wrote:

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/...not_to_dock_wi...

NASA says different:http://twitter.com/#!/NASA/status/114688098293661697

Pat

russia does not want competition.

Old September 20th 11, 01:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article _YqdnRN_BrtlL-
hdakotatelephone,
says...

On 9/19/2011 11:24 AM, Space Cadet wrote:

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/...h_ISS_999.html

NASA says different: http://twitter.com/#!/NASA/status/114688098293661697

I have a feeling some of this is "lost in translation". The Russians
won't approve to have Dragon come close to the station until it "proves
itself" during testing in orbit. In other words, I think they may agree
to let it berth with ISS, but only after they review the in orbit
testing.

I believe that ATV did much the same. After it's first launch, it
didn't head to ISS right away.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old September 20th 11, 01:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article e1521a17-4c7b-43e0-877d-
, says...

On Sep 19, 8:24*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 9/19/2011 11:24 AM, Space Cadet wrote:

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/...not_to_dock_wi...

NASA says different:http://twitter.com/#!/NASA/status/114688098293661697

Pat

russia does not want competition.

That's a simple minded conclusion to what's obviously sparse information
coming through the media. This is always a dangerous thing to do when
the Russians are involved. Anyone involved in these newsgroups as long
as you have been should know this. Too bad we don't have James Oberg
around anymore, as he was one of the resident experts on the Russian
space program.

At any rate, all too often something is "lost in translation" between
the Russian speaking journalists and English speaking journalists. It's
far better to wait for NASA to tell us what the Russians are thinking
because, when compared to journalists, it's far less likely that the
engineers on each side will misunderstand each other.

My guess is that Russia doesn't want an unproven vehicle approaching
ISS. Dragon is scheduled to perform certain tests in orbit before
approaching ISS. Please remember that this was previously supposed to
be two separate test flights that SpaceX has requested be combined into
one. Russia is likely waiting for the results of what would have been
the tests conducted on the first test flight before giving it the green
light to approach ISS (which was originally scheduled for a separate
flight).

Jeff
Old September 20th 11, 03:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Jeff Findley wrote:
I have a feeling some of this is "lost in translation". The Russians
won't approve to have Dragon come close to the station until it "proves
itself" during testing in orbit. In other words, I think they may agree
to let it berth with ISS, but only after they review the in orbit
testing.

Which doesn't imply that it can be on all the same mission. Just that you have
to complete step 1 before it is safe to embark on step 2.

I believe that ATV did much the same. After it's first launch, it
didn't head to ISS right away.

Jeff this make complete sense. If the "shoe were on the other foot" NASA would
insist on no less as well.

I've been waiting for Jorge to comment. Jorge has access to the authoritative
source (NASA itself). Let's see what Jorge has to say about this before
jumping to (unwarranted) conclusions.

Dave
Old September 20th 11, 03:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
Which doesn't imply that it can be on all the same mission. Just that
you have to complete step 1 before it is safe to embark on step 2.

Can == can't

(Poor proof-reading, sorry)
Old September 20th 11, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/20/2011 4:46 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
I have a feeling some of this is "lost in translation". The Russians
won't approve to have Dragon come close to the station until it "proves
itself" during testing in orbit. In other words, I think they may agree
to let it berth with ISS, but only after they review the in orbit
testing.

I believe that ATV did much the same. After it's first launch, it
didn't head to ISS right away.

That's how I read it also.

Pat
Old September 20th 11, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/20/2011 4:53 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
My guess is that Russia doesn't want an unproven vehicle approaching
ISS. Dragon is scheduled to perform certain tests in orbit before
approaching ISS. Please remember that this was previously supposed to
be two separate test flights that SpaceX has requested be combined into
one. Russia is likely waiting for the results of what would have been
the tests conducted on the first test flight before giving it the green
light to approach ISS (which was originally scheduled for a separate
flight).

After the near-fatal Progress/Mir collision you can see why they would
be somewhat alarmed about a scenario like this.
(Apparently _two_ Progress cargo ships managed to bump into Mir, but one
didn't do any significant damage.)

Pat
Old September 21st 11, 06:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
In article _YqdnRN_BrtlL-
hdakotatelephone,
says...

On 9/19/2011 11:24 AM, Space Cadet wrote:

http://www.space-

travel.com/reports/Private_US_capsule_not_to_dock_with_ISS_999.html

NASA says different:

http://twitter.com/#!/NASA/status/114688098293661697

I have a feeling some of this is "lost in translation". The Russians
won't approve to have Dragon come close to the station until it "proves
itself" during testing in orbit. In other words, I think they may agree
to let it berth with ISS, but only after they review the in orbit
testing.

I believe that ATV did much the same. After it's first launch, it
didn't head to ISS right away.

Agreed. But the data could be analyzed during that mission so that
would mean that docking could still occur during that same mission.
IMHO SpaceX should settle for a close approach for the first flight and
a docking during the second flight. I'm thinking that SpaceX is quietly
thinking that if they succeed with docking during that first flight
they could even scrap the second flight and head straight onward
towards paid cargo missions. They are pretty desperate for cash is my
guess.

Besides, by making this premature comment the Russians are claiming
ownership of the Station, which is politically unwise. They certainly
have a vote, but not the only vote.