M1 - Crab Nebula in Taurus

Old November 5th 06, 10:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie

Default M1 - Crab Nebula in Taurus

"Odysseus" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

snip

I just posted some Greek text above to see if it makes it through or
not. Using the Mozilla reader in Netscape, I select View-Character
Encoding-Greek (ISO-8859-7) and the message is now enabled for Greek
characters. Next, I then select GR in my Windows (XP) toolbar so that
the keyboard can write Greek letters using the existing English keyboard
on my Dell and I am all set.

OK. I have the same encoding feature under IE but not, at first sight, under
my outlook exp. mailing system that manages it. So in my case it should be
fine to get the uft8 available throught the OS and not only in individual
applications.
So if someone get the trick to install it for good on xp , I take.

Although my usual newsreader, MT-Newswatcher v3.5.1, was able to
identify the encoding correctly, the Greek text was garbled in the
display. However, it looks just fine in Mozilla Thunderbird v1.5.0.7, so
I presume the fault is MT-NW's and neither my system's (Mac OS 10.4.8)
nor at your end.

Noted. But Mac is not known for its troubles with drivers, fixes or viruses,
contrary to microsoft.
You make the good choice. when I see how work the G5, I 'm somewhat jealous
;-)

Thanks
Thierry

--
Odysseus

Old November 5th 06, 06:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Frank Feger

Anthony Ayiomamitis schrieb:

Γεία σου φίλε Θιερρή!

snip

Πολλά χαιρετίσματα από την Ελλάδα! (Many/Best wishes from Greece).

Both lines are readable, using
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; de-AT; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030821
with SuSE Linux 9.0, and Fvwm2 as window manager.

Clear Skies!

F^2

--
http://www.frank-feger.de.vu

Old November 6th 06, 12:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie

"Frank Feger" wrote in message
Anthony Ayiomamitis schrieb:

Γεία σου φίλε Θιερρή!

snip

Πολλά χαιρετίσματα από την Ελλάδα! (Many/Best wishes from Greece).

Both lines are readable, using
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; de-AT; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030821
with SuSE Linux 9.0, and Fvwm2 as window manager.

For the greek support in windows, I tested various config. and found that
both OS and applications play a role in the conversion.
I work with xp and all fixes. I just removed the foreign lang supp. then
reinstalled my japanese, greek and others languages in CP.
While the supported conversions included by default greek and that I could
write in greek, greek alphabet was not displayed in the return of my emails,
but remplaced with ? at best, like on most system not supporting it.

Now, instead of sending the msg "as it" (with embebbed greek -uft8 or iso -
support, thus using a conversion table to display correctly e??a??st?), if I
force the sending as "unicode", I lost the greek because it is no supported
by this standard.

For xp, the system uses the application data but can bypass it if you tell
the OS to ignore the code.
So, at the end it *your application* that decides to display or not the
greek and other "strange" char rather than the OS.
This also explains why e.g. MS-IExplorer can display it whatever windows
settings via its menu.
As it works locally (in sending me an email), it should work in internet
now, e??a??st?
In the negative, the problem looks outside of my PC, and so to you, and I am
not sure that i could fix it.

Now I don't make the test changing the encoding under IExplorer (I don't use
it to send mail), using greek or even arabian instead of western european to
see if the greek in preserved. but should be interested to do (and sending
the mail to the newgroup like 0.test to not pollute forums)
Hope this help.

Thierry

Clear Skies!

F^2

--
http://www.frank-feger.de.vu

Old November 6th 06, 01:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie

Thierry wrote in message ...

"Frank Feger" wrote in message
Anthony Ayiomamitis schrieb:

Aa?a oio o?ea Eeann?!

snip

?ieeU ?aenao?oiaoa a?u oci AeeUaa! (Many/Best wishes from Greece).

Both lines are readable, using
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; de-AT; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030821
with SuSE Linux 9.0, and Fvwm2 as window manager.

So, at the end it *your application* that decides to display or not the
greek and other "strange" char rather than the OS.

I have forgotten one think.
You application (brozser and mail syst) as also various settings to encode
messages for both email and news
this there are about 4 combinations (both text and html in greek or not) to
try to get ευχαριστώ
for this one I use only plain text msg in 8 bit in newgroups (in my mail
syst), and greek support in the browser instead of western eur.
See resulsts on 0.test (NB. most of the time the header is wrong but the
contains is correct)

Old November 6th 06, 07:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Graham W

Thierry wrote:
Thierry wrote in message ...

"Frank Feger" wrote in message
Anthony Ayiomamitis schrieb:

Aa?a oio o?ea Eeann?!

snip

?ieeU ?aenao?oiaoa a?u oci AeeUaa! (Many/Best wishes from Greece).

Both lines are readable, using
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; de-AT; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030821
with SuSE Linux 9.0, and Fvwm2 as window manager.

So, at the end it *your application* that decides to display or not the
greek and other "strange" char rather than the OS.

I have forgotten one think.
You application (brozser and mail syst) as also various settings to
encode messages for both email and news
this there are about 4 combinations (both text and html in greek or
not) to try to get ευχαριστώ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This displays o.k. in my
OE5.5 under
Win98SE fully updated as did all of Antony's.

for this one I use only plain text msg in 8 bit in newgroups (in my mail
syst), and greek support in the browser instead of western eur.
See resulsts on 0.test (NB. most of the time the header is wrong but the
contains is correct)

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps