Light Pollution Horror Pic

Old November 6th 03, 07:58 PM
gp.skinner

Default Light Pollution Horror Pic

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

Does anyone know of a good quality pic available of the UK and perhaps one
of Cumbria at night? If so can you give me a URL or send it direct.

Graeme

Old November 6th 03, 08:26 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"gp.skinner" wrote in message
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

Does anyone know of a good quality pic available of the UK and perhaps one
of Cumbria at night? If so can you give me a URL or send it direct.

Hi Graeme

Not an actual photo but I have a light pollution contour map of the UK and a
close up of Cumbria on my website

http://www.leadbeaterhome.fsnet.co.u...llution_uk.htm

Cumbria has one of the few "black" places in England on the map - only on in
the fells though :-(

Robin

Old November 7th 03, 11:01 AM

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

I find these pictures fascinating - this is the best one I have seen so far
I think. I live in Manchester, and the difference in the night sky when I
was in central france earlier this year was astounding. I think we should
turn all the power stations off at midnight )

Old November 7th 03, 11:10 AM
Martin Frey

"a" wrote:

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

I find these pictures fascinating - this is the best one I have seen so far
I think. I live in Manchester, and the difference in the night sky when I
was in central france earlier this year was astounding. I think we should
turn all the power stations off at midnight )

Or support the Campaign for Dark Skies

http://www.dark-skies.org

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old November 7th 03, 01:18 PM
Dr Robin Bignall

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:01:51 -0000, "a" wrote:

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

I find these pictures fascinating - this is the best one I have seen so far
I think. I live in Manchester, and the difference in the night sky when I
was in central france earlier this year was astounding. I think we should
turn all the power stations off at midnight )

Hey, I do most of my Usenetting after midnight!
Batteries might keep the PC going, but not me.

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Quiet part of Hertfordshire
England
Old November 7th 03, 05:55 PM
gp.skinner

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg
Does anyone know of a good quality pic available of the UK and perhaps

one
of Cumbria at night? If so can you give me a URL or send it direct.

Not an actual photo but I have a light pollution contour map of the UK and

close up of Cumbria on my website

http://www.leadbeaterhome.fsnet.co.u...llution_uk.htm
Cumbria has one of the few "black" places in England on the map - only on

in
the fells though :-(

Thanks for the link, I've found however that the light pollution at Penrith
to be worse than that of Carlisle, the map however shows Carlisle to be
worse. Don't know the reason for this, one of the worst offenders for light
pollution outside Penrith is the golf driving range, that on certain nights
flood light the driving range, luckily I'm several miles away and on the
other side of a large hill to be bothered by it.

Graeme

Old November 7th 03, 06:17 PM
Chris.B

"gp.skinner" wrote in message ...
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

Graeme

I really don't believe this picture at all. There are vast swathes of
virtually uninhabited countryside in two places where I have lived
over the years that show almost solid light in this picture. Perhaps
the picture was taken when there was snow on the ground and a full
Moon overhead to add to the total light reflected back to the
satellite? Though I doubt the explanation is that simple. One couldn't
ask for darker skies than I enjoy at the moment yet it is shown as
almost solid light. Not that I'm underestimating the light pollution
problem elsewhere. I just don't think the picture is completely
representative of reality on the ground everywhere. For example there
are mountainous regions with strong light pollution showing. My firm
recollection of these areas is of small isolated farmhouses and tiny
villages. Quite honestly, if you pointed every lonely streetlamp and
halogen security light straight up at the sky it wouldn't add up to
this level of light pollution.

Grinch *;^{#
Old November 7th 03, 07:00 PM
Steve Taylor

a wrote:
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

I find these pictures fascinating - this is the best one I have seen so far
I think. I live in Manchester, and the difference in the night sky when I
was in central france earlier this year was astounding. I think we should
turn all the power stations off at midnight )

Get out north at the Astronomy Centre (~8 miles from the M62) and we get
milky way views on any clear night (moon permitting)

Steve

Old November 8th 03, 12:49 PM
Nick Mason

In article , says...
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

Does anyone know of a good quality pic available of the UK and perhaps one
of Cumbria at night? If so can you give me a URL or send it direct.

Graeme

Either I've got a dead pixel on my LCD monitor or someone has left a
light on in Antarctica!
--

Regards

Nick
Old November 8th 03, 04:03 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Nick Mason
wrote
In article , says...
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/world_at_night.jpg

Does anyone know of a good quality pic available of the UK and perhaps one
of Cumbria at night? If so can you give me a URL or send it direct.

Graeme

Either I've got a dead pixel on my LCD monitor or someone has left a
light on in Antarctica!

Sorry from what I can see it's your monitor.
--
Roger
52:54:41N