Please report in UT

Old August 13th 04, 07:02 PM
Stephen Paul

Default Please report in UT

Excellent! Bravo. :-)

"BllFs6" wrote in message
Funny Story....

In High School/Early college....I actually used to keep my watch set to UT
time! (early 80s, and in those days my watch was NOT multimode....I was

lucky
that it was LCD! ).....because I got tired of dealing with constantly

figuring
if it was "daylight savings time" (and if you added or subtracted for

it..etc
etc) or not...or if I was in the eastern or central time zone (i live near

the
"border").....

And once in great while some stranger would ask me for the time....And I'd

have
to stand there and convert from 24 hr military time format outloud to 12

hr
civilian format...then mumble something about time zones....then mumble
something about daylight savings time...then wonder outloud if I got

something
backwards (bordline dyslexic here).....so after all this I would end up

telling
the person something like this....well, its 42 minutes past the hour, and

think its 9 am, but I could be off an hour or 2 either way.....

take care

Blll

Old August 13th 04, 07:23 PM
Sam Wormley

Mick wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:09 GMT, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Mick wrote:

Anyone with any kind of sense would know what UT really means.

Hi Mick--Did you know the difference between UT1 (UT) and UTC is
currently 64.636 s ?

-Sam Wormley
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/time.html

You are one looney MOFO.

Here Mick, this is easier http://yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html
Old August 13th 04, 08:19 PM
Paul Lawler

"Mike Fitterman" wrote in message

"Paul Lawler" wrote in message
link.net...
"Mike Fitterman" wrote in message
"AstronomyWanaB" wrote in message
news I sure wish most here would report in UT various events

observed.
Local time has no meaning if your 1000's of kms away. DO IT IN

UT
WILL
YA??!

This really is a must. For folks that live in the US "CST" can

mean
more
than one thing. It can be confusing as hell for people who live

outside the
US to figure out what our timezones map to.

Ummm... okay, I'll bite. What does CST mean besides Central Standard
Time?

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/a...ons/timezones/

Thanks for the link... but it doesn't explain how for folks that live in
the US "CST" can mean more than one thing. It still appears to mean
Central Standard Time.

Old August 13th 04, 08:26 PM
Tom Kirke

Thanks for the link... but it doesn't explain how for folks that live in
the US "CST" can mean more than one thing. It still appears to mean
Central Standard Time.

It frequently gets used when people mean Central Daylight Time ( CDT ).

Dark skies,

tom

--
We have discovered a therapy ( NOT a cure )
for the common cold. Play tuba for an hour.
Old August 13th 04, 08:55 PM
Phil Wheeler

wrote:

Mick wrote:

Anyone with any kind of sense would know what UT really means.

Hi Mick--Did you know the difference between UT1 (UT) and UTC is
currently 64.636 s ?

-Sam Wormley
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/time.html

You are one looney MOFO.

Here Mick, this is easier http://yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html

Nifty, Sam! But it came back in PDT (which is what I use in my laptop
-- UTC being a bit confusing on file date/time in my consulting
environment).

Phil

Old August 13th 04, 09:56 PM
Brian Tung

Phil Wheeler wrote:
Well, not really. You need the C as in UTC to really define it.

They're two different things--but not different enough in most
applications. You'd want to make the distinction in any case where you
care about getting your location very precisely. But if you're just
talking about when you saw such and such a DSO, then I should think it
wouldn't matter.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old August 13th 04, 10:31 PM
Paul Lawler

"Tom Kirke" wrote in message

Thanks for the link... but it doesn't explain how for folks that

live in
the US "CST" can mean more than one thing. It still appears to mean
Central Standard Time.

It frequently gets used when people mean Central Daylight Time (

CDT ).

Just because some people use the term erroneously (even if they do it
frequently) doesn't change its meaning. g

Old August 13th 04, 10:33 PM
Phil Wheeler

Brian Tung wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:

Well, not really. You need the C as in UTC to really define it.

They're two different things--but not different enough in most
applications. You'd want to make the distinction in any case where you
care about getting your location very precisely. But if you're just
talking about when you saw such and such a DSO, then I should think it
wouldn't matter.

Of course I agree, Brian. But if someone is so picky as to ask for UTC,
they should spell it with no ambiguity (at least in deference to those
who are actually in UTah!)

Phil

Old August 13th 04, 10:50 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Mike Fitterman wrote:
This really is a must. For folks that live in the US "CST" can mean
more than one thing. It can be confusing as hell for people who live
outside the US to figure out what our timezones map to.

Mike.

I subscribe to that. I live in Norway and I don't know what CST represents,
and most people I know don't know that either. One really cannot expect all
other people to look up all other time zone designations around the world
(at least not if you expect them to get it right). I use UT all the time,
and also avoid the troublesome summertime ("daylight saving time") issues.

Please report in UT.

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/