Please report in UT

Old August 13th 04, 03:01 PM
Stephen Paul

Default Please report in UT

Nevermind observing reports, we should all just get used to living our lives
in UT, regardless of geographic location. What's the big deal if the sun
rises on the eastern coast of the United States at 00:45 and we start work
at 03:00? It would take a _very_ short time to become accustomed to the hour
readings on the clock.

Not only, but it would be a lot easier to look at the clock and remember
that the folks on the west coast of the United States start work at 06:00 on
the clock (everyone's clock, no matter where on the planet), rather than
adding or subtracting hours, to figure out what the time is there.

On the wall of one of the conferance rooms at work, there are 5 clocks, all
set to different time zones, with city labels, so that people don't have to
do the math in their heads. :-)

Stephen

"Mike Fitterman" wrote in message
This really is a must. For folks that live in the US "CST" can mean more
than one thing. It can be confusing as hell for people who live outside

the
US to figure out what our timezones map to.

Mike.

"AstronomyWanaB" wrote in message
news
I sure wish most here would report in UT various events observed.
Local time has no meaning if your 1000's of kms away. DO IT IN UT WILL
YA??!

Old August 13th 04, 03:58 PM
Sam Wormley

Phil Wheeler wrote:

OTOH -- those who live in UT (Utah) could become very confused :-)

Phil

For the UTah Contingent, use UTC :-)
Old August 13th 04, 04:04 PM
David B. Thomas

I managed to read quite a bit of this thread before I realized that UT
meant "Universal Time". I thought the original poster wanted Utah
time!!

blush
David
--
If only 2^(7/12) were equal to 3/2, music would sound a lot better.
Old August 13th 04, 04:27 PM
Phil Wheeler

Sam Wormley wrote:

Phil Wheeler wrote:

OTOH -- those who live in UT (Utah) could become very confused :-)

Phil

For the UTah Contingent, use UTC :-)

Yeah -- that was my point, Sam :-)

Old August 13th 04, 04:28 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default Please report in UT [UTC]

Yes -- thread should say UTC. I had the same knee-jerk reaction
(UT=Utah) you did.

Phil

Old August 13th 04, 04:52 PM
BllFs6

Funny Story....

In High School/Early college....I actually used to keep my watch set to UT
time! (early 80s, and in those days my watch was NOT multimode....I was lucky
that it was LCD! ).....because I got tired of dealing with constantly figuring
if it was "daylight savings time" (and if you added or subtracted for it..etc
etc) or not...or if I was in the eastern or central time zone (i live near the
"border").....

And once in great while some stranger would ask me for the time....And I'd have
to stand there and convert from 24 hr military time format outloud to 12 hr
civilian format...then mumble something about time zones....then mumble
something about daylight savings time...then wonder outloud if I got something
backwards (bordline dyslexic here).....so after all this I would end up telling
the person something like this....well, its 42 minutes past the hour, and I
think its 9 am, but I could be off an hour or 2 either way.....

take care

Blll
Old August 13th 04, 05:12 PM
Sam Wormley

Mick wrote:

Anyone with any kind of sense would know what UT really means.

Hi Mick--Did you know the difference between UT1 (UT) and UTC is
currently 64.636 s ?

-Sam Wormley
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/time.html

If you computer envirionment is unix/linux, try this

#!/bin/csh

wget --random-wait -r -nd -A.dat -O ~/bin/tmp2 http://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/ser7.dat
cat ~/bin/tmp2 | grep "`date -u +20%y' '%m' '%d|sed s.' 0'.' '.|sed s.' 0'.' '.`" | cut -c55-62 ~/bin/tmp
set arg1=`cat ~/bin/tmp`
cat ~/bin/tmp2

#If UT1-UTC is a negative number use
set DeltaT=`echo "4k 32.184 32 + $arg1 + p"|dc`

#If UT1-UTC is a positive number use
# set DeltaT=`echo "4k 32.184 32 + $arg1 - p"|dc`

echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo " DeltaT TAI-UTC UT1-UTC TT (TDT)"
echo "_________________________________________________ ______________"
cat ~/public_html/gps/time.html|grep "UT1 (UT)"
echo " UT1 (UT) $DeltaT s 32 s $arg1 s TT (TDT) == Current Values as of `date -u +%y%m%d` 0h UTC"
echo ""
echo "open ftp://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/ser7.dat"
echo ""

ftp://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/ser7.dat
Old August 13th 04, 06:45 PM
Mick

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:09 GMT, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Mick wrote:

Anyone with any kind of sense would know what UT really means.

Hi Mick--Did you know the difference between UT1 (UT) and UTC is
currently 64.636 s ?

-Sam Wormley
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/time.html

If you computer envirionment is unix/linux, try this

#!/bin/csh

wget --random-wait -r -nd -A.dat -O ~/bin/tmp2 http://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/ser7.dat
cat ~/bin/tmp2 | grep "`date -u +20%y' '%m' '%d|sed s.' 0'.' '.|sed s.' 0'.' '.`" | cut -c55-62 ~/bin/tmp
set arg1=`cat ~/bin/tmp`
cat ~/bin/tmp2

#If UT1-UTC is a negative number use
set DeltaT=`echo "4k 32.184 32 + $arg1 + p"|dc`

You are one looney MOFO.