ASTRO: NGC 4449

Old June 4th 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 4449

NGC 4449 is a popular spring galaxy because of it's irregular structure. I
wanted to do an allnighter on it in April new moon time, but decided after a
bit more than two hours that I had enough signal and rather do some colour
frames instead of more luminance. Colour data is still waiting to be
processed.

Conditions were very good by city standards, especially the seeing was
amazingly good. Even the raw stacked images looked sharper than most of my
images after sharpening. Any fuzziness left comes from the very strong
logarithmic stretch I did to show the fainter parts better.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 25x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4449-25x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4449-25x5gut.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	926
Old June 4th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Nice images Stefan, the color version of m51 shows good color and details!

reg
Dirk

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old June 4th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

NGC 4449 is a popular spring galaxy because of it's irregular structure.
I wanted to do an allnighter on it in April new moon time, but decided
after a bit more than two hours that I had enough signal and rather do
some colour frames instead of more luminance. Colour data is still
waiting to be processed.

Conditions were very good by city standards, especially the seeing was
amazingly good. Even the raw stacked images looked sharper than most of
my images after sharpening. Any fuzziness left comes from the very
strong logarithmic stretch I did to show the fainter parts better.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount,
SXV-H9 camera, 25x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4449-25x5gut.jpg

Stefan

That's one on my list but will have to wait for next year now. Too far
west for good imaging as it is getting lower as the night goes on. I
doubt I'd ever see your seeing either! That makes the shot really nice!
Can't wait for the color version. I doubt I'd be able to handle color
in light polluted skies of Berlin or even a much smaller town. I have
problems with the moon!

Rick