Help: Ghosting and flaring, It's my eyes, not the scope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 24th 03, 06:22 AM
Scutter

Default Help: Ghosting and flaring, It's my eyes, not the scope.

Please bear with the long-winded explanation here, but I think it is
necessary to explain my situation.

I am looking for a solution to a problem I have with bright objects, such as
planets "ghosting" (where I see multiple images), and bright stars "flaring"
.. The problem is not in my telescope, it is in my eyes. I have looked
through quality, well collimated telescopes and seen similar things as I see
with my small newtonian reflector (114mm). And, others have said that my
scope looks fine when they look through it. I see the same problem through
my 10X50 binoculars. Dimmer stars look fine.

My small refractor (60mm) is not such a problem since images are not so
bright in it. Mars, for example, is the proper color and I can define the
polar cap in my refractor. In my reflector, it is so bright that it is the
color of a bright moon to my eyes. This brightness gives me the multiple
images, ruining the view. This only happens when viewing through telescope
or binocular eyepieces. I have no problem normally viewing bright objects
such as car headlights at night while driving. I am going to see my eye
doctor soon regarding this, as the symptoms are similar to those of
cataracts (could be the beginning stages).

I have considered using filters to reduce the brightness, which would help
the planetary viewing. However, I fear that a filter would hurt
star-watching.

I am considering using a decent-quality eyepiece projection device (video
camera, digital camera, etc.) connected to a monitor for viewing. I have
seen a couple of cameras at PolarisUSA that look interesting, the DX-8263SL
(color, $250) and the DXB-8200SL (B&W, $350). I have also considered a
standard digital camera mounted to the scope with the video-out cable
connected to a PC. I have video capture ability on my PC, so I could take it
outside with me and connect a camera to it. Buying a digital camera would be
nice since it would give me a camera that could be used for other purposes
as well, instead of just for the telescope. But I think moderately-priced
digital cameras may not be sensitive enough.

I do hope someday to buy a larger scope, so I will keep that in mind with
anything I purchase. Am I wishing (on a star) here that projection will work
for anything but the moon and planets? Will I be able to look at star
clusters or galaxies with this method?

Any one else have a similar situation? Or could throw a few ideas my way? I
only became interested in astronomy this year, and it has been frustrating
due to this issue. I must have re-collimated my scope 6 or 7 times before I
realized the problem wasn't with the scope. At least I'm proficient at
collimation now!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

--