Court Farm Astronomy activities

Old August 14th 06, 08:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Mills

Default Court Farm Astronomy activities

Hi, just been on holiday to Cornwall and wanted to give a plug to the
Astronomy activities held at Court Farm nr St Austell.

We were look for a camp site at the last minute and stumbled across Court
Farm where the mention of 9.5" telescope naturally court my eye. Luckily we
managed to book the last available place for that week.

Apart from being a great campsite with plenty of space and good facilities,
Court Farm boast dark skies with very little light pollution. Regular talks
are given on a Tuesday night by Brian Sheen, Lecturer in Astronomy and
Astrophysics at Cornwall College, in a converted farm building. The talks
are very popular and in fact there was such a demand last week that it was
decided to hold two sittings, with around twenty people attending both
sessions. After the talk there is an opportunity to view the sky through
Bill's telescope which is permanently installed on the camping field. Brian
will try to give a talk that is relevant to the current sky and so last
weeks focus was on the Meteor shower, unfortunately we were clouded out on
Friday but I managed to see several on Saturday as the skies cleared.

Bill and Brian have plans to extend the available activities and are
currently building a solar observatory.

All in all I think Bill and Brian deserve a big pat on the back for what
they are doing here, we will certainly be going back!

http://www.chycor.co.uk/cottages/court-farm/index.htm

Pete Mills

http://www.peter.j.mills.btinternet.co.uk/page7.html

Old August 18th 06, 11:29 AM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mills
Hi, just been on holiday to Cornwall and wanted to give a plug to the
Astronomy activities held at Court Farm nr St Austell. snip...

All in all I think Bill and Brian deserve a big pat on the back for what
they are doing here, we will certainly be going back!
http://www.chycor.co.uk/cottages/court-farm/index.htm
Pete Mills

http://www.peter.j.mills.btinternet.co.uk/page7.html
Thanks Pete for the posting - unless I've missed something their site doesn't say its astronomer friendly eg plug scope use?

Nytecam 51N 0.1W
http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/pstmg.htm