Iowa State Fair: I Can't Believe It's Not Buzz!

Old September 14th 09, 05:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bill Higgins

Default Iowa State Fair: I Can't Believe It's Not Buzz!

An exhibit at the recent Iowa State Fair celebrated the 40th
anniversary of Apollo 11:

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/d.../08/13/butter-
astronaut-and-cow-sculptures/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplerich/3846933296/

A life-size astronaut carved from butter joined the State Fair's
traditional butter cow.

Even better, the exhibit included a butter console TV set
incorporating a real CRT, playing reruns of Apollo 11 coverage.

I was, of course, seized with an overwhelming urge to share this with
my fellow correspondents on sci.space.history. Especially (wait for
it--) Pat.

(For a scholarly history of butter sculpture at state fairs, see
"Butter Cows and Butter Buildings: A History of an Unconventional
Sculptural Medium" by
Pamela H. Simpson http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/
10.1086/511405.)

--
Bill Higgins
Fermilab

(now posting from Google since my provider yanked its NNTP server...)
Old September 14th 09, 09:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Bill Higgins wrote:

A life-size astronaut carved from butter joined the State Fair's
traditional butter cow.

If it was of Buzz, it should have been made of ham, not butter.
(No, not Ham the CPFM, but the "Buzz Aldrin Rocket Hero" kind:
http://www.revell.com/catalog/produc...cket_hero.html )
Note that the logo and what-not are property of Starbuzz LLC.
I went Googling for that, and this is what came up first:
http://www.starbuzz.cbcwebdev.com/
First Armstrong hearing the Islamic prayer call up on the Moon.
Now Aldrin and Hookahs.
I'll tell you, the Muslims _just rule_ outer space
We should have seen that coming when they started naming all the stars,
and sticking stars and moons on their flags. ;-)

Pat