Brightest object in the sky

Old December 23rd 17, 09:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

Default Brightest object in the sky

On 11/17/2017 4:31 PM, David Spain wrote:
On 11/17/2017 3:45 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
Originally, NASA bragged about the space station, once completed would
be the brightest object in the night sky.

Then it was brightest man made object in the sky.

Recently, I have seen tweets from NASA indicating the space station is
the 3rd brightest object in the sky.

Â*From a surface area, is the station very different than what had
originally been planned for assembly-complete? If not, is is the russian
side that developped less than originally assumed?

Is the station truly less reflective (smaller area) than originally
planned ?

Or do they fly it in a default orientation that generates far less
reflection towards the earth ?

or has NASA known all along it woudln't be brighest but needed the good
PR to help with funding?

I think you are reading too much in between the lines in what is a
somewhat subjective assessment and not really a mission parameter.

Having observed the ISS pass over me a few times, it is very bright but
not exactly as bright as other objects seen in the night sky, such as
Venus or Sirius. Also the "brightness" is variable, and quite dependent
upon its distance above the horizon. At first approach at maybe 10-20
degrees above the horizon it is not very bright at all. The only
distinguishing feature is its apparent motion. At near zenith it is
obviously brighter than most of the background stars but past that at
about 30 degrees down it starts to dim rapidly and with my eyes fades
from view even before it crosses the horizon.

I do seem to remember it appeared brighter during those evening
overflights when the space shuttle was docked to it that it does today.

I haven't been rigorous enough to do a comparative magnitude comparison
with known stars during a flyover. Maybe someday I will.

If you are really eager to see bright man-made orbital objects, maybe
someday someone will launch a reflective aero-gel in the form of a
Coca-Cola symbol as an orbital billboard. Until the dark sky people get
up in arms.

Dave

The US banned space billboards that can be seen
from Earth.

51 U.S. Code § 50911 - Space advertising

(a)Licensing.—Notwithstanding the provisions of this chapter
or any other provision of law, the Secretary may not, for
the launch of a payload containing any material to be used
for the purposes of obtrusive space advertising—
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/51/50911

obtrusive space advertising

(12)“obtrusive space advertising” means advertising in
outer space that is capable of being recognized by
a human being on the surface of the Earth without
the aid of a telescope or other technological device.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/definiti...:section:50911

--

"To paraphrase the Buddha — Three things cannot be long hidden:
the sun; the moon; and the truth. ‬

“But let justice roll down like waters and righteousness
like an ever-flowing stream” Amos 5:24

~ Former FBI Director James Comey (12-1-17)