Breakdown of funding for ISS by international partners

Old October 31st 10, 04:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Tulley

Default Breakdown of funding for ISS by international partners

On Oct 21, 2:38*am, Space Cadet wrote:
Hello All
I've tried to do a google search on it, maybe I'm not using the right
search terms, but I would like to find a breakdown of how much of the
ISS funding is shared by our International partners and US Tax
payers.

This may be hard because how do you proportion the costs. For example,
the shuttle is used to transfer its astronauts and some supplies and
equipment. So that cost can be approximated. The Russian side does the
same. But how do you proportion services such as the food/water and
spare parts resupplies from the Russian Progress module, the fuel
supplies from the russian progress or even services such as the Soyuz
emergency evacuation ship. This gets complicated by the Japanese and
European resupply, who pays for there launches and how do you
appropriate the costs of supplies given their use across the whole
ISS.

*Also related if for some reason after the last Shuttle
flight, US/NASA decides not to further support ISS until we
(re)develop our own way of sending personal to the station could
Russia, ESA and the other international partners support the ISS on
their own?

Why not. There's enough supply capability to keep it going.

The question isnt whether it could be done (it can) the question is
would it. Given the state the US is in these days, if they could not
launch astronauts to ISS (assuming they also would not pay Russia to
send them) then they would most likely ban other countries using their
spaces (the US adopts very much a yours & ours mentality on ISS). Now
Russia could ignore this and do it anyway but then that brings up the
other issue.

The ISS is seen by Russia as a source of hard currency. If Russia
wants a space station they can build it themselves and alot more
functional than ISS but it would cost. So if someone is willing to
open up a channel of funds to Russia then maybe they would keep ISS
going, either by allowing third party countries access to the ISS or
space tourism. There is already at least 2 european companies that
want to turn it into a tourist spot if the US abandons it. One in
particular has already done the legal work and reckons it can cut the
US out (as long as the US technically abandons it).

I'm hoping the US does abandon it, so that some Country can turn into
a Pioneer Hotel of sorts, give people a real taste of space.
Old October 31st 10, 05:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

On 10/30/2010 7:53 PM, Tulley wrote:

This may be hard because how do you proportion the costs. For example,
the shuttle is used to transfer its astronauts and some supplies and
equipment. So that cost can be approximated. The Russian side does the
same. But how do you proportion services such as the food/water and
spare parts resupplies from the Russian Progress module, the fuel
supplies from the russian progress or even services such as the Soyuz
emergency evacuation ship. This gets complicated by the Japanese and
European resupply, who pays for there launches and how do you
appropriate the costs of supplies given their use across the whole
ISS.

In addition, we never have gotten accurate figures on what a Russian
Soyuz or Progress spacecraft and its booster cost to launch; just what
they charge us or commercial customers - and there's bound to be a nice
profit margin involved in that price.

I'm hoping the US does abandon it, so that some Country can turn into
a Pioneer Hotel of sorts, give people a real taste of space.

Well, given all the trouble with the toilet, that will probably look
like this:
http://www.podsix.com/loot/zerogtoilet.jpg
I'd be keen to know what the ISS smells like inside; Mir was supposed to
smell like a moldy gymnasium shower room, and I imagine the ISS is no
treat for the nose either.

Pat

Old January 24th 11, 02:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
David Spain

Pat Flannery wrote:

Well, given all the trouble with the toilet, that will probably look
like this:
http://www.podsix.com/loot/zerogtoilet.jpg

Does it also softly play a Strauss waltz in the background?

;-)

Dave
Old January 24th 11, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
[email protected]

On Jan 24, 8:59*am, David Spain wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Well, given all the trouble with the toilet, that will probably look
like this:
http://www.podsix.com/loot/zerogtoilet.jpg

Does it also softly play a Strauss waltz in the background?

;-)

Dave

I think the US should offer the ISS to its international partners if
they dont want it or deorbit it.

We cant afford any more federal boondogles.that produce no science and
nasa now tells the taxpayer its job is operations not science

They are cutting my social security future benefits because I an 54 in
a few days. cuts will be to anyone less than 55. souurce meet the
press sunday........

Old January 24th 11, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Pat Flannery wrote:

Well, given all the trouble with the toilet, that will probably look
like this:
http://www.podsix.com/loot/zerogtoilet.jpg

Does it also softly play a Strauss waltz in the background?

;-)

Dave

I think the US should offer the ISS to its international partners if
they dont want it or deorbit it.

We cant afford any more federal boondogles.that produce no science and
nasa now tells the taxpayer its job is operations not science

They are cutting my social security future benefits because I an 54 in
a few days. cuts will be to anyone less than 55. souurce meet the
press sunday........

And, as usual, Bobbert has it wrong. *The Deficit Commission has
*PROPOSED* such cuts.

If Bobbert believes this is actually being enacted into law, he should
CITE THE BILL CONTAINING IT.

*only stupid."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Heinrich Heine- Hide quoted text -

I know it hasnt passed YET, but its coming.

The tea party ran on cuttinmg spending. and honestly I know its
necessary.

But with congress bought sand paid for by special interest